My 2 year olds hair is thinning all over!

spaineyspainey Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hello wise curly ladies!  (and possibly men?),

I really need your advice.  I am a white woman with poker straight hair, but my daughter is half black and I believe she has 3c/4a high porosity hair so its all very new to me.  I have done my best to learn about it and seemed to have been doing a good job up until now (her hair was doing fab).  All of a sudden as if instantly it has thinned all over and back from all the edges too.  I am really upset about it and feel like I have failed her and her beautiful hair.

Can I please tell you what I did and what changes I have made and maybe someone can help me fix it - I am so thirsty for your advice.

Daily:
Spray with water and cantu kids conditioning detangler
Pull sweet almond oil through with fingers 
Pull through Cantu coconut curling cream with fingers
Sometimes leave out and sometimes put up, but never very tight.
At night time I do the same thing, but instead of the curling cream I pull through a shea butter and castor oil whip I made and then do quick twists for bed time.

Once a week:
Shampoo with shea moisture kid shampoo and conditioner followed with routine from above.

What I have changed recently:
One month ago, I noticed the back was dry and a bit shorter so I bought Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil strengthen and restore deep conditioner and leave in conditioner and have been using this on wash days. 

The thinning is drastic. Could it be protein overload? could it be that I should have stuck to baby products?  Any suggestions on how I ca save it?

Is there a way I can add pics?

Thanks everyone x

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,982Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Hair changes so slowly, I would think whatever happened to make her hair fall out would have started at least 6 weeks ago, so I doubt it's the change in products that caused it.  First I would ask her doctor about it.  Best to rule out any medical causes. 

It could be just a change from her baby hair to more mature hair.  My babies lost their hair much earlier, around 3-6 months.  Just like everything else about the body, the hair matures and changes as we age. 

I would be careful with shea butter and castor oil, especially if you're using straight castor oil.  Most hair products use a hydrolyzed form of it to make it easier to remove.  Straight castor oil (and butters, and other oils) can build up in the hair and be very difficult to remove.  I doubt that's the cause of the hair loss though.

I'm sorry - I don't think I've been much help.  But maybe some other people will have better ideas.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would try to keep a products except shampoo off her scalp. It could also be normal growing changes. If you are truly concerned or if she is developing bald patches, consult her Dr. If not, ask at her next appointment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file