Hair curls with co wash but not deep conditioner?

snowpuffssnowpuffs Posts: 31Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
For some reason the As I Am co wash has made my hair curl like I haven't seen much of before but when I use the As I Am deep conditioner my hair just stays frizzy. I was sure I was using too much protein so I expected results. The co wash has coconut so I know that isn't the likely issue with the deep conditioner.

This frizzy hair problem has been going on for weeks now and a co wash works better than all the deep conditioners I've been using? (Including shea moisture's castor deep conditioner)

For a while now I haven't even gotten good results from using heat with my deep conditioners actually.

Can anyone help me figure out whats going on?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,980Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I have a couple thoughts on this.  First, it could be that the DC is just too heavy for your hair.  Maybe you don't need deep conditioning.

Second, and probably more likely - it sounds like you need to clarify.  You may have so much buildup in your hair that the conditioners can't penetrate through it.  I always get better results from conditioners after I clarify.  Use a shampoo with sulfates and no silicones.  Just the one time, and then hold onto that shampoo so you can use it once a month or so.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • snowpuffssnowpuffs Posts: 31Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Guide 65 said:
    I have a couple thoughts on this.  First, it could be that the DC is just too heavy for your hair.  Maybe you don't need deep conditioning.

Second, and probably more likely - it sounds like you need to clarify.  You may have so much buildup in your hair that the conditioners can't penetrate through it.  I always get better results from conditioners after I clarify.  Use a shampoo with sulfates and no silicones.  Just the one time, and then hold onto that shampoo so you can use it once a month or so.
    I guess I'll clarify again but pretty much no deep conditioner has penetrated my hair since I started :/

I guess I'll try out regular conditioners next time I have the cash.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,562Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If your hair isn't responding to the deep conditioning, I would think that either you have build-up and need to clarify with a sulfate, or you have protein overload. Have you cut out the products with protein? Have you checked for hidden proteins, like grain extracts?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    That's very eye opening. I haven't cut out all protein products actually, just my deep conditioner (As I am Hydration Elation) so far. Do you know any resources I could use? I only know that the low porosity line from shea moisture won't have any protein.

I use the Saiya natural shampoo to clarify usually. I did check to see if it would be enough but now I'm doubting that it's working as well as it should.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm no help with ingredients since I don't pay a great deal of attention to that, but I do know that when my hair is healthy and happy a deep conditioning does nothing for my hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,562Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I personally use Bumble and Bumble Sunday shampoo to clarify, but that might be more than you're looking to spend. Basically, any sulfate shampoo that has no silicones (or protein, if you want to try eliminating protein) will do. I'm not famliar with the shampoo you mentioned, though it looks like an interesting product.

Some people even use dish soap to clarify, though I personally am scared to try that because it is pretty harsh.

I use the Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment, which is protein free. I use mostly the Intelligent Nutrients product line, which is kind of pricey and not easily available. I don't use drugstore products (I have a lot of chemical sensitivities), so I unfortunately can't give very helpful suggestions.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 said:
    I personally use Bumble and Bumble Sunday shampoo to clarify, but that might be more than you're looking to spend. Basically, any sulfate shampoo that has no silicones (or protein, if you want to try eliminating protein) will do. I'm not famliar with the shampoo you mentioned, though it looks like an interesting product.

Some people even use dish soap to clarify, though I personally am scared to try that because it is pretty harsh.

I use the Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment, which is protein free. I use mostly the Intelligent Nutrients product line, which is kind of pricey and not easily available. I don't use drugstore products (I have a lot of chemical sensitivities), so I unfortunately can't give very helpful suggestions.
    I'll see what clarifiers I can get then. The one I have may not be strong enough since multiple washes is what makes the hair curl again. I'll add that protein free DTs haven't worked for me haur either. Even with heat (My hair hates heat over my deep conditioner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file