Help Retaining Moisture

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
I really struggle with getting my hair to retain moisture throughout the day.    By the end of most days, my hair is a halo of coarse frizz.  I live in Seattle, where the weather is humid so many of my products have humectants in them.

I've tried the LCO (minus cream) method several times in the course of 7 months with both jojoba oil and argan oil.  Both leave my hair looking greasy (even with a dime size for whole head).   

My products are in my sig.  I deep condition before every wash, and wash 2-3 times a week.  I use a t-shirt to scrunch out excess moisture after I put in products and then let my hair air dry (a diffuser only increases my hair's inability to retain moisture).

Any tips or advice to help low porosity hair keep in moisture? 
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Best Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Layering products. Try mixing one or two drops of oil in the LCO method. I had the same issue with a dime size. Getting a sealing gel helps as well (which is basically any thicker hard hold gel).
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Yes try mixing one or two drops into a leave in or cream instead of the dime size. The hard hold gel you have should work. Humectants draw in moisture assuming the climate you are in is not bone dry. Also make sure to clarify regularly. Low porosity hair likes to be clean, and product build p can stop moisture from getting in your hair.

Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    BrittanyM said:
    Layering products. Try mixing one or two drops of oil in the LCO method. I had the same issue with a dime size. Getting a sealing gel helps as well (which is basically any thicker hard hold gel).
    Do you mean I should only use one or two drops instead of a dime size?

Also, what is considered sealing gel?  I am using JessieCurl Spiralicious which has humectants.  It leaves a really good hard gel cast.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I mixed just one drop with kinky curly knott today.  It helped a lot, but it still left my hair with this greasy look.  I think I just need to throw in the towel and accept oil on my hair does not work.  :(

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Some hair doesn’t like oil. Layering products should help reduce moisture loss too.
    if you ever get your hands on almond oil, you might want to give it another shot but I wouldn’t specifically go out and search for it based on what you described. You can always use the oils you already have for pre poos.
    BrittanyM said:
    Some hair doesn’t like oil. Layering products should help reduce moisture loss too.
    if you ever get your hands on almond oil, you might want to give it another shot but I wouldn’t specifically go out and search for it based on what you described. You can always use the oils you already have for pre poos.
    I actually have almond oil!  I use it to keep up my deep treatment. I read that it's not a sealing oil so it wouldn't work for LCO/LOC

It works fine for me and was the only oil I could get to work in LCO. Almond oil can’t penetrate the hair strand so it sits on top. I think coconut oil might be the only oil that does actually go into the hair strand (probably wrong about being the only one). It’s worth a shot to see what you think of it if you have it on hand.
    BrittanyM said:
    It works fine for me and was the only oil I could get to work in LCO. Almond oil can’t penetrate the hair strand so it sits on top. I think coconut oil might be the only oil that does actually go into the hair strand (probably wrong about being the only one). It’s worth a shot to see what you think of it if you have it on hand.
    Ah!  I've read almond oil does penetrate :(  all this contradicting information is why you should just try stuff and see how it works instead of listening to someone else telling you it won't!   I will give the almond oil a go!  Thank you! 

edited October 2018
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html
    This might help. Yes, this does prove me wrong about coconut oil being the only one to soak in. The scienc y hair blog is a great place for looking up stuff. So according the link, almond oil does soak in some. I find two drops mixed into my cream is enough for me, but of course, mileage varies.
    edit: I hate contradicting info too. Last night, I read glycerin is made of wax and plastic. It’s not. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file