How can I get my hair back to normal again?

mymightycurlsmymightycurls Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited October 2018 in Transitioning

When I was about eight years old, my mom had told me that we were going to the salon to get a treatment which would make my hair softer. I obviously said yes, but I came home with pin straight hair. Almost two years later, the relaxer started to wear off and my mother at forced me to get my hair relaxed again. I started crying so much but she didn’t care. She didn’t want to take care of my curls (I’m the only one in my family with curly hair). My hair before didn’t need much caring to do. All I needed was a shower and I was all set for the week. But now, I can’t even go two days without taking a shower. I’m only 13 and my hair is falling out quite a lot as well. My hair is either dry and thin or frizzy and too moisturized. There is no between. Are there any treatments/masks I should use to help care for my hair while waiting for everything to grow out? (Images Inserted)

Before:

Now:

(these two were from 6th grade and I'm not confident enough to take photos now because my hair is all basically dead) - the thickest it's ever been was when all of my hair was in an S pattern (mine naturally spiral) and it covered my back, shoulders, and my chest

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,781 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  You should be able to get your curls back, but it might be a long wait until all that damaged hair has grown out.  In the meantime, try doing some deep conditioning treatments to get your hair as healthy as you can. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• mymightycurlsmymightycurls Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  You should be able to get your curls back, but it might be a long wait until all that damaged hair has grown out.  In the meantime, try doing some deep conditioning treatments to get your hair as healthy as you can. 
    Do you mind telling me some products/treatments that I should be using? 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,781Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    A lot of us here use the Curly Girl method, which means we eliminate sulfates in our shampoos and silicones in all products.  There is a book by Lorraine Massey which explains everything so it's easy to understand.  You may be able to find it at the library.

Since you're 13, you'll have to rely on your mom to get the products for you.  I don't know how much she's willing to spend.  If you need drugstore type stuff,  Tresemme Botanique is a pretty good conditioner.  Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask is pretty good, and cheap too.  If your mom is willing to splurge on salon quality products, then Deva Curl is a good line and not too hard to find.  If you have an Ulta near you, you can get Not Your Mothers Naturals, which is actually pretty inexpensive, and much better than the Tresemme.  Or from Sallys, you can get GVP Conditioning Balm, which is also inexpensive but good.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file