Does anyone have experience with hair loss due to birth control?

madzthelinemadztheline Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I have 3b hair that is usually very fine and porous but lately I've noticed that hairs fall out much more easily and every time i have a wash day I have a huge amount of hair coming off on the brush. I checked my scalp and there seems to be significant thinning around my hairline. My hair also seems spontaneously shorter even though I haven't cut it at all. I don't wear stressful hairstyles and I never sleep with my hair up. I use all sulfate free and paraben free products so I figure it must be either stress (I'm a very overworked college student) or more likely the fact that I recently started birth control. I have no idea how to approach this. Any idea on mitigating the effects without switching birth controls?

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I have not experienced this, but I have heard of others that have.  You can do a search here to find discussions about it.  I would go back to your doctor and talk about it. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • StaircaseWittyStaircaseWitty Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited January 23
    @madztheline Yes my hair thinned and significantly changed curl pattern and texture even just switching from low estrogen to no estrogen birth control. 
    3A top, 2A underneath fine, low porosity.
    HGs: Bounce Curl Creme Gel, Innersense Color Radiance condish
    On the hunt for a better refresh spray (currently using KCSS)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file