Question about Knit hats for Type 3b hair

GinWavesGinWaves Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Any curly hair knitters out there? Winter is coming up and I'd like to knit a beanie for a friends daughter but she's got type 3b hair and I want some advice about hat style and yarn type.  She's mixed race and has lovely 3b curls that she wears long and natural.  I was thinking of making a cute oversized beanie that wouldn't crush her hair, but I was wondering if anyone had tips on which yarn to use: acrylic, wool, alpaca, cotton... I don't want the hat to dry out or damage her hair. Thoughts?

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,528Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  I love knitting!  Is her hair big?  Wooly Wormhead writes patterns for big hair.  I think she has some big dreadlocks herself.  If you make something like a beret or tam, with just the brim small enough to hold it onto the head, it'll have enough space to not crush the hair too much.  Or you could make one that's like a detached hood.  Wool will be warmest, and you could line it with silk to help prevent static and keep the hair nice while wearing it.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,662Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome, @GinWaves!  So happy to have you here!  And so nice of you to want to knit a beanie for your friend's daughter.  What a lucky friend you have. 

I know nothing about knitting, but @Guide 65 has offered some fantastic suggestions!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file