How often should fine haired wavies wash their hair with a sulfate free shampoo?

FrizzymessreeeFrizzymessreee Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
As the title says...also, I decided to give curly girl method another try but this time with a sulfate free shampoo. I have been washing regularly with it and my hair has become curlier and more voluminous. But it is still not where I want to be, probably because I‘m not cowashing. (Every time I cowash my hair, it gets greasy, that‘s why I want to know how often I should wash my hair with a sulfate free shampoo).

Also could it be the conditioner that makes my hair too greasy? I am planning to buy conditioners from dr organic, any fellow fine haired wavies that can tell me if they are light and moisturising enough?

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,800 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You can wash as often as you like.  I wash every other day, but when I started it was daily.  I also never cowash.  I just never got the results I wanted - my hair was flat and limp.  Sulfate free shampoo is much better for me.  I'm not familiar with that brand of conditioner.  Check the ingredients for butters and oils - if there's a lot, it may be too heavy for your hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Accepted Answer
    It might or it might not - it depends on how damaged your hair was to start with, and how much "curl potential" your hair has.  I have not had a fantastic transformation like we see in so many pictures.  It did get curlier than I ever thought it would, but it wasn't a sudden change, it was so gradual, and there were so many ups and downs along the way, and it's still the same.  Same days good, some days not so good.
    Current products:
  • FrizzymessreeeFrizzymessreee Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    Guide 65 said:
    It might or it might not - it depends on how damaged your hair was to start with, and how much "curl potential" your hair has.  I have not had a fantastic transformation like we see in so many pictures.  It did get curlier than I ever thought it would, but it wasn't a sudden change, it was so gradual, and there were so many ups and downs along the way, and it's still the same.  Same days good, some days not so good.
    You said it was gradual, which means it still changed. Can I see a before after picture of your hair? 
    Accepted Answer
    The first picture in the gray sweater was one of the first times I tried CG.  I think I used mousse that day because I didn't have any gel.  The one in the white shirt is one of my curliest days, but I've found out my hair needs to be short to go that curly.  The longer it is, the more stretched out my curls are.  The bottom right picture was about 6 months ago.  I loved how shiny is was, and how big the clumps were.  The bottom right was just a few days ago.  If I showed you a picture of my hair right now, it's pretty much stick straight.

It's improved along the way, but I still don't feel like there's been huge transformation.  If you compare the top right picture with the bottom left, it's not all that much different.  And BTW, the top right I was cowashing, all the rest I used sulfate-free shampoo.
    Current products:
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you!  I don't know how long...some people have immediate results.  For me, it was a matter of finding the right products and techniques.  It took probably a good 6 months before I saw some real improvement, and then another 6 months before I started getting consistent results. 
    Current products:
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    For me, it took/takes more than just my lo-poo and conditioner. I have to baby my hair, scrunching, plopping, diffusing and a hard hold gel to get my waves. I don't have easy access to any of my before pictures on my phone, but it was completely straight before I started CG. 

Here's today:

I used my Jessicurl Gentle Lather, pea sized amount of my Hask, dollop of my Tresseme and rinse out. Then I put a pea sized amount of my Tresseme in as a leave in, drop of my Jessicurl oil blend, curl cream (the 2 in my signature cocktailed together about 50/50) and a half palm of my LA Looks gel. Plopped for a half hour while I had a cup of coffee, then pixie diffused for about another 30 minutes.

To answer your original question, I use my Jessicurl Gentle Lather 2-3 times a week, and I don't co-wash at all. I might put a pea sized amount of conditioner in when I'm refreshing, but I'm still working on that. I also clarify every couple of weeks or so, as needed, with a sulfate shampoo. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Answers

• FrizzymessreeeFrizzymessreee Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    You can wash as often as you like.  I wash every other day, but when I started it was daily.  I also never cowash.  I just never got the results I wanted - my hair was flat and limp.  Sulfate free shampoo is much better for me.  I'm not familiar with that brand of conditioner.  Check the ingredients for butters and oils - if there's a lot, it may be too heavy for your hair.
    But will my hair be curlier eventually just like it happens with people who cowash? I‘d love to have a hair transformation.
  • FrizzymessreeeFrizzymessreee Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    The first picture in the gray sweater was one of the first times I tried CG.  I think I used mousse that day because I didn't have any gel.  The one in the white shirt is one of my curliest days, but I've found out my hair needs to be short to go that curly.  The longer it is, the more stretched out my curls are.  The bottom right picture was about 6 months ago.  I loved how shiny is was, and how big the clumps were.  The bottom right was just a few days ago.  If I showed you a picture of my hair right now, it's pretty much stick straight.

It's improved along the way, but I still don't feel like there's been huge transformation.  If you compare the top right picture with the bottom left, it's not all that much different.  And BTW, the top right I was cowashing, all the rest I used sulfate-free shampoo.
    Thank you so much! Your hair looks beautiful before and after! I don‘t think I have any curl potential but we‘ll see lol. How long does it take before hair gets curlier by washing hair with sulfate free shampoo btw?
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    For my 2a, barely wavy hair that I have finally started to understand, clarifying with a sulfate shampoo is a necessity at least monthly. I have pretty fine hair that seriously needs a good clean, especially if I have been experimenting w/ new products. A good metric that works for me is every three weeks or two weeks if my scalp really needs it. Once I get further into the CG method (I have been doing it since late August- about 4 months) I hope to wean myself off the sulfates but I try to avoid them mostly. 
    My current routine on a clarifying day:
    Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo 
    Love, Beauty, and Planet Coconut Water and Mimosa Flower Conditioner
    If my hair is dry- 1 Minute Mask Garnier Fructis Nourishing Treat (Coconut one)
    Styling-
    Marc Anthony Foam (Yellow bottle)
    I don't get great hold with it, but want to save up some money to get a good gel. I've used the Herbal Essences scrunching one but it has silicones :/ 
    I need good hold, so any suggestions (on a budget, widely available)? Sorry that I went on a tangent, but all the products listed are available for under 10 dollars @ Target. 

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,504Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @BarelyThereWavyHair, many people like the LA Looks gels, and they're quite cheap. Another favorite is Eco Styler.

I wouldn't worry about weaning yourself off the sulfates completely if you're using them only every two to three weeks. I use a sulfate at about the same interval, and many board members do the same. Even CG-approved products will build up on the hair over time and need something stronger to get them off. As long as your sulfate poo doesn't have silicones, you will be OK.

I would double-check your Marc Anthony product. It likely has silicones.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 said:
    @BarelyThereWavyHair, many people like the LA Looks gels, and they're quite cheap. Another favorite is Eco Styler.

I wouldn't worry about weaning yourself off the sulfates completely if you're using them only every two to three weeks. I use a sulfate at about the same interval, and many board members do the same. Even CG-approved products will build up on the hair over time and need something stronger to get them off. As long as your sulfate poo doesn't have silicones, you will be OK.

I would double-check your Marc Anthony product. It likely has silicones.
    Just a heads up if you’re protein sensitive. LA Looks sports gel has keratin amino acids. I think Eco has protein too. 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 399Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I never co-wash anymore and typically wash every other day (sometimes everyday) with a mild sulfate cleanser.

BUT -- I have seen fine hair waives who swear by co-washing.  It's hair by hair and you have to figure out what your unique hair likes and doesn't like. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  JessiCurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    *currently trying BeautyCounter Smooth & Control Conditioner 
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCrul Heaven In Hair
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion & JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel  all over; JessiCurl Rockin Ringlets on select areas
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 399Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited December 2018
    @BarelyThereWavyHair ; I suggest trying Garnier Frustis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel.  I haven't used it in a while (I might now since I still have some left), but I really liked it when I did and it gave me a good hold.  

To add to @Therese1 about even CG products getting build up.  There are unfortunately false assumptions that get spread around the CGM community that becomes "facts".  One of  them is that if you are using 100% CG approved products, you won't need to clarify.    

I I have mixed thickness (mostly fine) and mixed curl types (2c/3a) and get build up soooo easily even with light products.   I like my hair better using heavier products which is why I decided to start using a gentle sulfate cleanser regularly.   I do a "deep clarify" with just lemon juice once a month.  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Stylers: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion & JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel  all over; JessiCurl Rockin Ringlets on select areas
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @BarelyThereWavyHair ; I suggest trying Garnier Frustis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel.  I haven't used it in a while (I might now since I still have some left), but I really liked it when I did and it gave me a good hold.  

To add to @Therese1 about even CG products getting build up.  There are unfortunately false assumptions that get spread around the CGM community that becomes "facts".  One of  them is that if you are using 100% CG approved products, you won't need to clarify.    

I I have mixed thickness (mostly fine) and mixed curl types (2c/3a) and get build up soooo easily even with light products.   I like my hair better using heavier products which is why I decided to start using a gentle sulfate cleanser regularly.   I do a "deep clarify" with just lemon juice once a month.  
    Thank you for your tips! I picked up the gel you recommended and it is working really well on my hair. I recently cut it to about shoulder length, so the less weight/length plus the new gel is making my waves turn out amazing! I'm definitely still team clarify, as even going silicone free I still get build up as a fine-haired wavy. Hope you had a happy new year and a great 2019!
    Awesome!  glad it worked out!  Happy 2019!

• KestrelMKestrelM Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Wash when needed, you know when your hair gets gross. I live in a very dry climate, I only wash my hair once a week, and mostly cause my hair has a hard time keeping moisture so I dont like washing it. I do use dry shampoo though, that helps alot. 
    @KestrelM ; - are you CG?  If so what dry shampoos do you use?  I've been trying to find a CG approved one!

@tinksaysboo I use batiste. It is my favorite but not every curly girl likes it. Cantu has a dry cowash. Ogx has a ph balancing dry shampoo
    ah.  I use to use Batiste but it's not CG approved :( 

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,800Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @tinksaysboo, I use Batiste too.  It has denatured alcohol which is not CG, but there's no silicones.  I don't mind the alcohol because my hair has a tendency to get overmoisturized, so I don't worry about drying it out.  I don't use it all the time, just once in a while.  There are powered type dry shampoos too that may not have any alcohol.  Those may work better for you.  Or a DIY dry shampoo can be made with corn starch and cocoa added to match your hair color.
    Current products:
    I use dry shampoo on like my day 4 hair. So I don't use it often either. Ill look at my dry shampoos at my store and I'll let you know @ tinksaysboo 
    Ion day 2 dry shampoo powder. I do believe its safe, I'm still learning on what to avoid. Here are the ingredients: Corn starch, tapioca starch, magnesium carbonate, fragrance, linalool, hexyl cinnamal, citral
    @tinksaysboo
  • WavyHeadMegWavyHeadMeg Posts: 21Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited January 13
    @tinksaysboo I've been using the Oscar Blandi pronto dry shampoo powder for years and it works so well! It's not a spray, so it doesn't leave my hair with sticky residue and the ingredients are cleaner. It's a little pricier than drug store dry shampoos, but I got the 1 oz sample bottle a couple of years back and it keeps lasting! A little goes a long way. Definitely value for the money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file