Protein overload or not enough?

Springer2396Springer2396 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
recently my hair has become very flat and dull. It’s limp and does not hold a curl well without a ton of hairspray, and has lost all its natural wave. I used to have 2b hair, but now it looks practically straight or like I brushed out all of my waves and it's So frizzy and very silky. I have very fine, dry hair, that takes forever to dry, so I moisturize the heck out of it. It almost looks as if it’s heat damaged but I don’t use any heat on it. Is this protein overload or do I need more protein?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,633Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It sounds more like you need to clarify.  You may have too much build up and it's weighing your hair down.  Try using a sulfate shampoo - just make sure there's no silicones in it.  Just one time, then go back to your regular products after that, and see if it makes a difference.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Always try clarifying first. Follow up with a deep conditioner. Let us know what happens.
  • Springer2396Springer2396 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Okay so I tried a clarifier and it didn’t help any. I also tried a deep conditioner after and that didn’t do anything either.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,633Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Then in that case, it may be a protein issue.  What products are you using now?  Do they contain protein?  Those signs could be either too much or too little, depending on the person.  But it would help to know if you're getting any now, or getting none.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Springer2396Springer2396 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Then in that case, it may be a protein issue.  What products are you using now?  Do they contain protein?  Those signs could be either too much or too little, depending on the person.  But it would help to know if you're getting any now, or getting none.
    I recently switched products about a week and a half ago. Now I use the Devacurl low poo, and one condition.

i also use their buildup buster every once in a while and I just tried the deep sea repair mask last night.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,407Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The Deva Buildup Buster contains a lot of protein. The Deva Low Poo and One Condition contain hops extract, which can affect the hair like protein. I'm guessing that you have too much protein. I would do a deep conditioning treatment with a protein-free conditioner (beware of hidden proteins like grain extracts) and then start on a protein-free regimen. If too much protein was the problem, you should see some improvement within a couple of weeks. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file