Curl cream breaking me out!

Sasha1922Sasha1922 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hey curly friends,
I have a problem and I need help!
I am finally starting to get along with my curly hair after a lifetime of Japanese hair straightening treatments. But i have an issue that might make me hate my hair again: leave in curly cream breaks my chest so bad! (Where my hair naturally falls during the day) and after battling acne for the past 10 years, just that is enough to make me straighten them again. It took me sooo long to grow them all curly again so I would love to avoid doing that. How do I prevent leave in products to break me out? (Whitout wearing turtle necks everyday lol) or what product could you suggest? I'm currently using shea moisture coconut curling cream and I think it's the coconut oil in it that causes the pimples. Thank you so much for any suggestions! 

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,751Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    OH no! I'm so sorry. So glad you've embraced your curls, though. 

No worries.... I think you're right..... it's some ingredient in that particular cream that's irritating you.  But the good news is that there are 10,000 other creams or gels you can try! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • hmr1016hmr1016 Posts: 65Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the same issue with coconut oil/coconut oil heavy products! Once I stoped using it, the breakouts on my hairline, chest, and shoulders went away. The only curl cream I've ever used is AG Re:coil, but I do recommend it for wavy/loose-ish curly hair! It smells like funfetti cake and plays well with other products.
    Current 2B/2C Routine:
    Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
    Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
    Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
    Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 889Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The bane of curly hair for me. Products make my hair look good but if it touches my face, instant acne.
    I don't know how you style but this is what I do. I hope this helps. When I get in the shower, the first thing I do is wash my hair or rinse out my deep conditioner. If I need to let the conditioner sit a bit, I will shave my legs or whatever in the meantime. But i don't wash my face or body with soap yet.
    Once I finish the washing hair portion, I get out of the shower and style my hair. I put it in a plop and get back in the shower to wash my face and body. This has helped tremendously since before I had already washed so the products were going all over me as I styled my hair. Its a pain and kind of like two showers but it helps a lot.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,751Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    BrittanyM said:
    The bane of curly hair for me. Products make my hair look good but if it touches my face, instant acne.
    I don't know how you style but this is what I do. I hope this helps. When I get in the shower, the first thing I do is wash my hair or rinse out my deep conditioner. If I need to let the conditioner sit a bit, I will shave my legs or whatever in the meantime. But i don't wash my face or body with soap yet.
    Once I finish the washing hair portion, I get out of the shower and style my hair. I put it in a plop and get back in the shower to wash my face and body. This has helped tremendously since before I had already washed so the products were going all over me as I styled my hair. Its a pain and kind of like two showers but it helps a lot.
    Oh!  How inventive. I'm sorry you have to jump through all those hoops, but I'm glad you found something that works for you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Sasha1922Sasha1922 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much for all of you to reply! I am new to this forum and since I didn't get any notifications by email i thought I had no answers! 
    So I will try to both change my curling cream AND re-wash after my plop! This suggestion is brilliant! I'll let you guys know how it went :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file