Beginner! Dry, Colorado Climate; Low Porosity (?), Medium Density, Short, 2b Hair

steadycettisteadycetti Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hi, new friends! 

I think I have read every article and watched every YouTube video out there. I am saturated with too much (sometimes conflicting!) advice, products, and methods. I am HATING my hair; I've been trying to be "natural" for one month. Here's the struggle bus:

Biggest problem:
- I feel absolutely stumped on HOW to apply my products (the order, the method, damp/dry, scrunch, AYE) or know what products I need. Raking seems to seriously break up my waves. Plopping squishes the back of my hair flat. Trying to apply products post-shower, after blotting and scrunching a bit.

Smaller issues: 
- Can't seem to figure out HG products
- Frizz, frizz, FRIZZ!! (It frizzes almost right out of the shower - even when I blot with my t-shirt! I do diffuse slightly - I can't seem to wait ALL.DAY for my hair to dry)
- Haven't deep conditioned yet...looks like I need to try. Recommendations?

Currently trying or using:
Camille Rose Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse
Shea Moisture Low Porosity Conditioner
(Trying) Kinky Kurly Knot Today (Perhaps too thick?)
(Trying) Camille Rose Hair Milk (Also thick)
(Trying...and I think hating, actually) Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

My HG used to be Redken Aerate Mousse after I washed and conditioned (with regular, non-CG products)

If you live in a dry climate and/or have low porosity, wavy hair, I'd love to know!

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'm in a dryer climate than you (up north in Alberta), and have mixed porosity hair but it usually acts like low porosity. 

What I'm using now is Jessicurl Gentle Lather shampoo, Innersense Color Radiance conditioner (just started using this yesterday), AG Naturals Cloud foam in my roots, Innersense I Create Volume through the lengths, and Deva UDG all over.  I have not had good luck with the less expensive drugstore products.  But I'm finding the Innersense products have a little bit of a learning curve.  They're very concentrated, so they need to be mixed with water a bit and very little is needed.

You might want to watch some shower routines on youtube.  I found those to be very helpful for application techniques.  Two techniques that helped me tremendously were S2C (squish to condish) and applying my styling products in the shower, on sopping wet hair. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think I commented on another of your posts, but if plopping doesn't work for you, don't do it. Everyone's hair and routine are different so while YouTubers can help they don't have your hair.
  • Curly92Curly92 Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have low porosity, very fine, 3A hair and also live in Colorado, to me that seems like a lot of heavy creamy products. My hair is really easily weighed down rich conditioners often sit on top of my hair, so I usually use a single lightweight leave-in for detangling and moisturizing, and then gel and/or mousse for styling. If you're struggling with frizz I would definitely try switching out your curl smoothie for a gel, which will help with both frizz and definition. Maybe try using just the moisture milk with a gel and see what happens. I recently bought Herbal Essences totally twisted gel on a whim and it gave me great hold and shocking amount of definition to my curls given its price tag. It's 3 bucks so it might be a good thing to try to see if gel works for you. Just a heads up, it does contain silicone but it is a water-soluble kind that won't build up on your hair. I apply my products fresh out of the shower after just squeezing a bit of water out and then I run through my hair with a Denman brush which might help define and clump your hair. And then I plop for a while and usually let it air dry the rest of the way. When I first started transitioning methods like raking, using a Denman brush, and plopping seemed to just leave my hair stringy and limp. If you haven't already, I would try applying your products with the praying hands method and gently scrunching excess water out with your hands or a hair towel. I've actually had much more luck with cheaper drugstore products than more expensive products like DevaCurl and Ouidad. Here's some things that I've been loving recently -I just started using the Camille Rose sweet ginger wash too and have really liked it -The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Sweet Oil & Honey Endless Moisture Rinse Out or Leave-In Conditioner (as a rinse out conditioner) -Alikay Naturals Avocado Moisture Repairing Mask (Holy grail for me. I use it once a week with heat for a half hour to an hour.) -The Mane Choice crystal orchid gel. -Aussie instant freeze mousse (when I want extra hold) I've been using the Camille Rose coconut water leave-in, I've liked it but I also feel like it sits on top of my hair a bit, so I probably will buy something else once I finish the bottle. Also, the curly girl method is great and you probably want to give it a little bit longer to see if anything improves, but it's not the holy grail for everybody. If you don't see results and you loved your hair before, I would stick to what works. Sorry for the long post, hope some of it is helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file