Noob with 100 questions

IngebjovIngebjov Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
edited October 2018 in Information for Newbies
Hi!
(Sorry if this is in the wrong category!)

I'm fairly new to CG, and I'm having trouble understanding why my hair reacts the way it reacts from day to day. If I'm not mistaken, I'm a type 2B/C wavie with medium to low porosity, thin/fine hair..

1. What causes stringy curls? Sometimes my curls are stringy and disgusting, even on wash days. Any theories? 

2. My hair always looks way better on day 2 after washing. How could that even happen? Could I be using too much product? I feel like I am using very little. A tiny dash of leave in and a little bit of gel. 

3. Since my hair is so thin, I prefer the big volum eand poofy hair days. Do any of you have product recommendations based on my hair type and desired result?

Random tips for a noobie like me based on my hair type is also greatly appreciated!
Thanks! #noob

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Answer ✓
    Welcome!  I think we have very similar hair.

If your hair has been looking good and then suddenly goes stringy - I have no idea why this happens.  It happens to me too, even after 2 years of doing this.  Just on my last wash day it happened.  I blame it on the weather.  We had a sudden weather change, nothing else was different.

I also like my day 2 hair better.  For me, it's because it poofs out just slightly which gives me more volume, and the curls are a bit straighter so it's just wavy and and not curly at all.  One day 1 they're sort of curly on top and wavy underneath, and I prefer having them all the same.

Have you tried using mousse for more volume?  Most of them do nothing for me.  All my life I've tried mousses and haven't liked them.  But recently I found AG Naturals Cloud foam and it actually works!  It's not a miracle worker - my hair is still flatter than I'd like.  But it does give me some extra volume. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Answer ✓
    Welcome!  We're glad to have you here at CurlTalk. 
    You might like this article about stringy curls we published this summer. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Answers

• IngebjovIngebjov Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much for the helpful replies!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file