Accidentally used silicone product, help!

ccrmoondancer@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hey guys, so I'm just starting the curly girl method. I have mostly 2b, low porosity, fine hair. I grabbed the Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla & Almond Milk lines after trying SheaMoisture (too heavy), as I read CD was good for low porosity. After using the Almond Milk hair mask my curls were stretched and kind of a slick feeling. I check the ingredients and SILICONE (darn!), I don't know who I overlooked that. The shampoo is sulfate-free but the hair mask and the conditioner I've been using has silicone (weird?!). I haven't been using them for very long, so I'm taking them back and starting over, but I'm not sure what to do next.

I have a clarifying shampoo and am getting a for sure silicone free deep conditioner, but I'm wondering if I need a protein treatment too. The protein stuff has been the hardest for me to understand, but from what I do my fine hair likes protein and my low porosity doesn't. I know for sure my hair does not do well with heavy coconut oil, that seems to be a protein thing. I'm trying to be cautious about protein, but I'm wondering if my hair is over-conditioned from the mask. My wavy hair is really stretched, is not holding product, looks soft & puffy at the same time, but also kind of slick. I don't know if what I'm describing makes sense, but I don't like it! (Also, my scalp is itchy!) Is this just due to the silcones or could I possibly need a protein treatment? Or both?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Oh no...I hate those hidden silicones!  I've done a time or two as well.  Start with a clarifying shampoo to get the cones out.  Use a regular sulfate shampoo - something with sulfates but no silicones.  I think there's a Suave Clarifying shampoo if you're in the US.  It's cheap and easy to find, but it'll be really harsh.  Just use it once now, and save it for later.

Try clarifying first and see how your hair responds.  If you're still having problems, then revisit the protein issue.  Understanding protein needs is confusing, so eliminate the issue that is definite first - the build up and silicones in your hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • ccrmoondancer@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Oh no...I hate those hidden silicones!  I've done a time or two as well.  Start with a clarifying shampoo to get the cones out.  Use a regular sulfate shampoo - something with sulfates but no silicones.  I think there's a Suave Clarifying shampoo if you're in the US.  It's cheap and easy to find, but it'll be really harsh.  Just use it once now, and save it for later.

Try clarifying first and see how your hair responds.  If you're still having problems, then revisit the protein issue.  Understanding protein needs is confusing, so eliminate the issue that is definite first - the build up and silicones in your hair.
    Thank you so much! The silicones are sneaky but it has led me to pay closer attention to the products I buy, which is a good thing in the long run. I clarified and then decided to do go ahead and do a gentle protein conditioning treatment, worked great! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file