To gel cast or not to gel cast? And how?

piebakershairenvypiebakershairenvy Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So as a newbie who is still working on getting my hair on the straight and narrow, and as a 2a/b gal, I have seen a lot of things saying that it is important to have some kind of gel support for my waves/curls. But I'm not sure I'm doing this right. I have been putting the gel in after doing my wash and condition and leave in while my hair is still pretty wet and scrunch it in. Then in the mornings I have been spritzing my hair with water and scrunching in gel to redefine what I have got going. My struggle is that I end up with pretty crunchy hair that doesn't dry for a couple of hours and then the cast doesn't want to break for several hours after that, and by that time half of my hair is frizzy or broken free and I am left with a few strange crunchy strands. Am I better off as I get my hair figured out to just let it run gel free? Or do I just need to work on my technique? 

Also, one half of my head always seems to fall straighter than the other, what's up with that? 

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Getting a gel cast isn't the goal of gel - just getting nice frizz-free curls is the goal.  The cast is just a side effect.  If you don't get a cast, that's fine.  But getting too much of a cast - when you can't even get it out - that's not so good.

I put my gel in my hair while it's sopping wet - still in the shower. Then I squeeze out the excess water with my hair towel, and sometimes I add a little bit more after that.  I will then start diffusing for 10 minutes or so, then air dry.  Then diffuse more to finish drying.  I tend to not get a cast this way, but it usually holds well and looks good.

Try putting your gel into your hair when it's wetter.  It should dry a little softer, and be easier to break the cast.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Try using a tiny dab of oil (any oil your hair likes) to get rid of the crunch. This will help seal in moisture and help with frizz. Then on refresh days, try using just a spritz of water and scrunching to redefine and only put more gel on the curls/waves that are frizzy. You can also try a specific curl refresh spray. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file