What am I doing wrong?

piebakershairenvypiebakershairenvy Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

My hair used to be stick straight but in high school it turned to 2a/2b, coarse, thick, low porosity. I could no longer have bangs because they would turn into tiny ringlets, but when my hair is long the whole front of my hair are big loose curls and the rest of my hair is a big, fluffy, frizzy wave. I never use heat and I have never dyed my hair. For years I have been frustrated with my fluffy hair that does what it wants, hairstylists are forever confused and unable to help (and assuming that I straighten very curly hair), and I feel like I have tried everything including the curly girl method a year ago unsuccessfully. So I am trying the CGM again and trying to do better. I am using Cantu and Broo conditioners, Garnier fructis light gel, and a drop of Dr. Bronners mixed in with my co-wash when I need to clarify.  I have been squishing to condish, plopping at night, and then in the morning refreshing with a spritz of water and applying gel. The first few days were okay but now it is looking greasy and loc-like and my roots are flat. What am I doing wrong? 

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome!  Your hair looks like it needs to be clarified.  Dr. Bronner's won't clarify - it doesn't have the sulfates that you need.  Use a regular shampoo, with sulfates and no silicones.  They're fairly easy to find at your drugstore.  Dr. Bronner's is not formulated for hair - don't use it at all.  Save it for your dishes.

Your Broo conditioner - is that the beer stuff?  I looked up the ingredients.  It appears to be GC friendly, but it has some unusual ingredients.  I've never heard anything about it - good or bad.  Cantu tends to be really heavy with oils and butters which can build up on your hair.  If there's one item to splurge on, it would be a really good conditioner.  You can use something cheap (but non-oily) as a cowash, but hydrating your hair is the most important part of CG - get something really good.  Sally's has GVP conditioning balm, and it's not expensive.  Then there's Deva Curl, Jessicurl, Innersense, Curl Junkie - all those have good conditioners, but a bit more expensive.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Second GVP Conditioning balm. For you, I'd suggest skipping cowash almost entirely. Perhaps stick to low poo / sulfate free shampoo. Try not to sleep in a plop as that can frizz your styling. You might want to try sleeping in the crunch so all you have to-do in the morning is scrunch out the rest. A satin bonnet or pillowcase with pineapples hair can make all the difference.

Answers

• piebakershairenvypiebakershairenvy Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    BrittanyM said:
    Second GVP Conditioning balm. For you, I'd suggest skipping cowash almost entirely. Perhaps stick to low poo / sulfate free shampoo. Try not to sleep in a plop as that can frizz your styling. You might want to try sleeping in the crunch so all you have to-do in the morning is scrunch out the rest. A satin bonnet or pillowcase with pineapples hair can make all the difference.
    How do I set a good "crunch" to sleep in? 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Any hard hold gel should create a cast. I watched this video to see if she had any tips, but not really. She also has a video on sleeping in the plop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file