Dry scalp?

DrpjfitzDrpjfitz Posts: 72Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
edited September 2018 in Hair Type 3
Hi everyone,

I have fine 3A hair and am a little over 3 months into following the CG method. Currently, I am using DC No-Poo, DC One Condition, DC B’Leave-in and DC Ultra Defining Gel. I deep condition weekly, alternating using DC Heaven in Hair, Melt into Moisture, and Deep Sea Repair (once per month). My scalp often feels dry even right after deep conditioning. I have no flaking and no scalp condition. 

When I refresh and spray on a mixture of water and DC One Condition, it is such a relief because my scalp feels so dry. This is how it feel anytime I apply water to it.

Any ideas what might be going on? I should add that I live in Texas where the dew point was 78 yesterday when I did my hair. It’s “only” 62 today... 😉

Thanks!
3A fine, normal porosity
No specific products as of yet—still trying to figure out what works for my hair 

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My only guess is that there is something in the Deva products that is ever so slightly irritating your scalp, manifesting as dryness. Some people actually report rashes from Deva products--I'm not sure what the offending ingredient is. Maybe try switching to other products for a week or so and see if the problem goes away. If it goes away, you could start adding the Deva products back in one by one to see if the problem reappears.

I want to say that the Deva No Poo is one of the bigger offenders as far as scalp issues go. Maybe you'd want to try eliminating only that product to start and see if anything improves.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • DrpjfitzDrpjfitz Posts: 72Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Therese1 Thank you for the suggestion. It would be very disappointing if it is more than one Deva product. I’ll switch to a different product line as you suggested and see how my scalp feels in a week or so. Thanks again!  
    3A fine, normal porosity
    No specific products as of yet—still trying to figure out what works for my hair 
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I think @Therese1 is right on the money. I've heard a lot of people have dry scalp issues with Deva products. In case that doesn't work, you might also want to try a scalp serum/oil and see if that helps any. 
    @cnic216. Thank you for that information. It amazes me that a product designed to prevent the harshness of a regular shampoo could cause dryness and other problems. Do most people think it’s one of the ingredients or can protein cause something like this?
    3A fine, normal porosity
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It's most likely one of the ingredients, because we've seen this reaction to Deva products quite a few times on the forum. Protein does not usually cause this kind of a problem, unless maybe you have an allergy to wheat or something and a product uses wheat protein. And even then I don't know whether that irritation would manifest as dryness.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    @Therese1. Thank you—that does make sense. I’m switching to Jessicurl products for a week or two. Then I will introduce one of the Deva products back to see how my scalp responds.
    3A fine, normal porosity
    @Therese1 and @cnic216  FYI—I’ve been doing a lot of online research and am now considering that I might be sensitive or allergic to propylene glycol. It’s in a number of their products including No-Poo and Low-Poo (as well as many hair product lines). Once I use the JC for a couple of weeks and then re-introduce the Low-Poo, I’ll post an update.

Thanks again for the help and support!! Love CurlTalk!!
    3A fine, normal porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file