What do you do with products you no longer use?

KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
Let's face it, we buy a ton of products and half of them we use once, realize it's awful and never use it again! Interested to hear what you guys do with products you've tried that haven't worked for you. I know most will say "BIN" but some of these products are expensive!?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Conditioners can be used as shaving cream, and cleansers can be used as a body wash.  But for styling products, I don't know what to do with them.  Some people say to donate to a homeless shelter, but frankly...homeless people don't need gel or mousse or curling creams...they need basics, not luxuries.  Plus a lot of shelters won't take partially used products.  You can try trading or selling them.  There's a lot of facebook groups for that, or the swap section here.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Guide 65 said:
    Conditioners can be used as shaving cream, and cleansers can be used as a body wash.  But for styling products, I don't know what to do with them.  Some people say to donate to a homeless shelter, but frankly...homeless people don't need gel or mousse or curling creams...they need basics, not luxuries.  Plus a lot of shelters won't take partially used products.  You can try trading or selling them.  There's a lot of facebook groups for that, or the swap section here.
    Love that idea of the conditioner/cleansers!
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I generally manage to use conditioners up on days where it doesn't really matter if my hair's not the best, or I donate to DS2. I use mousse as shaving foam on my legs.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use conditioners for shaving cream too. Shampoos are repurposed for cleaning my makeup brushes. If I have stylers I don't like, I ask friends who have curly hair whether they would like to try them.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Posts: 248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The last time I did a major product clean-out, I gave the products I wasn't using away via my local Buy Nothing group.  There is a lady in the group who collects things for, if I remember correctly, a battered women's shelter.  So she got some of my stuff.  Other products went to others in the group.  I'm just glad people could use it!
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Women's shelter. I agree that styling gel might not be at the top of their needs list, but everyone likes to feel pretty.  And many of the women are looking for jobs, so need to look their best for that. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file