Really need help

AyesarAyesar Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Novice
I believe my hair is 2c/3a and low porosity. It is thick and coarse and extremely dry, which means its frizzy all the time. I am not CG completely, but follow some of it. I shampoo only once every 3 washes, I try to use sulfate free when possible.<br><br>I usually wear my hair down the day i wash it and then tie it back for the next 2 days as i cannot wear it down fue to frizz amd my hair looking and feeling dry and hard. My hair crunches when I squueze it. It feels like wire.&nbsp;<br><br>People tell me and i read about all kinds of things to try. Try coconut oil, conditioning masques, squish to condish, etc etc for moisture. Anything i try leaves my hair feeling the same. I just clarified my hair using an ACV rinse, followed by baking soda rinse, followed by using a ridiculous anount of conditioning masque. Left on for at least 5-10 min and washed only some of it out. My hair feels the same as before. My hair literally feels like wire and I have never felt it soft, ever.&nbsp;<br><br>I am starting a new job in a week and need to look professional for this job. I have been tying my hair back at my current job but im stressed and dont know how to wear my hair at my new job. I considered getting a smoothing treatment but decided against it as it’s so temporary. I am really fed up and dont know what to do.

Comments

• KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I'm with you on the frizz girl! I have the same issue. Some people just have a lot of frizz and no matter what you do, it will always be somewhat frizzy! I have managed to reduce mine a lot and that's by fully following the CG Method apart from (like yourself) I shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo once per week. I co-wash once per week, mid week, just to give my curls a refresh because I also have a frizz problem.I found that making sure my curls have a hard cast stopped most of my frizz, but of course, then you have the cast (you could break it but then it would just go back to being frizzy the next day). One thing you mentioned was you don't always use sulfate free, change that immediately and don't ever use sulfate again - that will give you frizz (at least it made my hair a lot frizzier) One other thing to mention would be, it takes a long time of following this method to see benefits, I've been doing it 6 months now and it's slowly getting better but it's still not there. It can take up to 2 years for your hair to adjust!
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you are using sulfate free shampoos but still using silicones, those can badly build up and dry out your hair. I’m wondering if this is what’s causing it.
    what products are you using? How are you styling your hair?
    not to get too into the weeds, but you might be protein sensitive too.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    YEah, with CGM, quitting sulfates is only half the battle. You have to quit silicones, too. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • AyesarAyesar Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Novice
    I am currently using Proclaim Coconut Oil shampoo and conditioner, Shea Moisture conditioning masque, Curls Unleashed leave in conditioning cream.

This is the frizz i have everyday. The last time I washed my hair I used the conditioning masque in the shower, and leave in creame, coconut oil and a serum to style. No matter what I use I get the frizz. This is the third day after washing but it looks the same on the first and second day too. 

I am am just worried because frizz gives the impression of being unkept and unprofessional and I don’t want to start a new job looking like this.

I will switch to Shea Moisture sulfate free shampoo and conditioner but is there anything else I can do to get rid of the frizz and soften my hair a bit? Any home remedies?? Hair that is dry and hard like wire is so unattractive
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Are you using a gel at all?  Gels are what hold curls, and also control frizz.  Put it in when your hair is very wet, let it dry without touching.  It'll be stiff and crunchy, so once it's dry scrunch the curls and all the crunchiness will go away.  You should be left with soft, frizz-free curls.  You probably don't need a hard hold gel - a light hold should work for you, and something without protein.  Maybe Jessicurl Jelly Soft gel, or Kinky Curly Curling Custard. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would also add that most serum have silicone in them. Clearly, you are not getting the moisture you need since your hair is hard and dry. You need to focus on maintaining moisture. Focus on the leave in and gel. The gel will dry to be crunchy but gently scrunch out the crunch once 100% dry. I do suggest embracing the curly girl method in regards to ingredients as this can help moisturize your hair.
    edited September 2018
    Guide 65 said:
    Are you using a gel at all?  Gels are what hold curls, and also control frizz.  Put it in when your hair is very wet, let it dry without touching.  It'll be stiff and crunchy, so once it's dry scrunch the curls and all the crunchiness will go away.  You should be left with soft, frizz-free curls.  You probably don't need a hard hold gel - a light hold should work for you, and something without protein.  Maybe Jessicurl Jelly Soft gel, or Kinky Curly Curling Custard. 
    I used Ouidad gel right after putting my leave in conditioner in. I applied quite a bit of gel but my hair did not become crunchy at all after it dried. I have used gel in the past and my hair got crunchy. I wonder why it didn’t this time. 

The reason I used a serum last is to give my hair some shine. My hair looks really dull and it really needs shine. Aaah there is so much to do with my hair that it’s overwhelming.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that trying the Curly Girl method would be worth a shot. That would mean no sulfates and no silicones--you can't go sulfate free if you don't eliminate silicones. (Silicones build up on the hair and require sulfates for removal.)

I too suspect that you are likely protein sensitive. I would look for protein-free products and give those a shot. I would especially try deep conditioning with a protein-free conditioner.

I would avoid coconut oil for the time being. That can exacerbate protein sensitivity. Maybe try avocado, sunflower, almond, or olive oil? Some people even use castor oil, although others feel that it builds up on their hair.

I would try using some oil on dry hair overnight, right before wash day. Just take a few drops of oil and rub them together between your palms and then smooth your palms down your hair. Use just enough to give your hair a slight sheen. Let this sit overnight so it has time to penetrate the hair. Then wash your hair as usual the next day. This should help soften the hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file