Hair looks greasy. How do I fix this?

BabyGiraffeBabyGiraffe Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Back again... I see that I previously posted about this issue and I'm still struggling with it, so I've returned to learn more and ask for more advice. 

My problem is that even after a shower, my hair still looks very greasy. It is also not very wavy / curly in my everyday but I believe this is because I need better technique (e.g. Try squish to condish, pineapple, better pillowcase). First, I hope to solve the issue of looking greasy. 

For some background:

* My hair is professionally bleached and colored every 9 weeks. Olaplex #1 and #2 are part of this process.
* I have been using Kevin Murphy's "Repair Me" Wash and Rinse for about 1 year. Previously, I used Shea Moisture's Fruit Fusion shampoo and conditioner and very briefly, Shea Moisture 10-in-1, according to my previous thread. I swapped from Fruit Fusion to Kevin Murphy thinking this would help but it has not. I have continued to use Kevin Murphy because I was gifted large bottles of them... 
* I have used Kinky Curly Come Clean a few times over this past year, and my stylist has used clarifying shampoo here and there, but it is not used consistently on my hair.
* I wash my hair about once a week, cold water. Currently don't use any gel or other products, nor do any heat styling. 
* Recently I got my first Deva Cut! She used some of Deva Curl's line, and I think one of the light gels, but I don't recall. After the cut, I was shocked at how my hair looked and it felt so fluffy! But then I came home and went straight back to my old routine... :/
* I tried plopping for a while but as I wasn't doing anything else, it didn't seem to be doing much and I gave it up. Now I just let my hair air dry.
* I have taken a few quizzes and I typically get low porosity. I just took the naturally curly quiz and it said that I was high porosity so I'm not really sure. 

It might be hard to tell re: the grease, but here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/DR124VZ. The first one is right after the Deva Cut, the others are from the other day shortly after a shower. Please ignore my color as this was right before a refresh and it looks so bad... On top of how dirty it looks in general, I'm just, ugh, I don't know what to do. I've tried different washing techniques, different techniques to apply the shampoo / conditioner, thinking maybe it was me, but nothing seems to help. 

I guess I'm looking for product recommendations... Tips? Advice? Anything, really. I'm just so sick of feeling like my hair is so gross and bleh when I feel like it could be so much better.

Thank you all for your kindness and thoughts.

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried going silicone free? The Kevin Murphy Rinse has silicones.

I would also try washing your hair in warm water. That should help cut the grease.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BabyGiraffeBabyGiraffe Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 said:
    Have you tried going silicone free? The Kevin Murphy Rinse has silicones.

I would also try washing your hair in warm water. That should help cut the grease.
    I am not sure! I didn't even think about that. Aside from Kevin Murphy, the other products I've tried were two Shea Moisture options. Are there silicone free options listed in the product recommendations somewhere, or do you recommend anything specific? 
    I would try following the Curly Girl method, which means going silicone free. You do a sulfate wash to clear out all the build-up from silicones, and then you start on a silicone-free regimen. Some people like to use conditioner to wash their hair (known as co-washing), while others like to use a sulfate-free shampoo (gentler than a sulfate shampoo). The basics are outlined in Lorraine Massey's book "Curly Girl."

I would avoid the Shea Moisture products, as the shea butter in them is notorious for causing problems with hair (it can cause a dry, coated feeling on hair). Once you have your hair a little more under control, you can start to experiment with Shea Moisture if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it right now.

As far as products go, I would recommend checking out RockynCurls' blog: http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/2016/04/raquels-favorite-cg-products.html. I think she might have a hair texture similar to yours. Her blog is full of useful info. 

In general, the Kinky Curly Come Clean poo is a good one for clarifying but kind of harsh for regular use. If you find that your hair keeps getting build-up, you will probably want to use a sulfate-free shampoo for regular use rather than a co-wash, since conditioners will tend to sit on top of your hair. You might need to do a deep conditioning treatment to get the conditioner to penetrate your hair instead of sitting on top (this basically means leaving conditioner on your hair for 15-30 minutes, then rinsing out).

DevaCurl products are silicone free (they were developed by Lorraine Massey, who created the Curly Girl method), so they are suitable, but you just have to be aware that they have a lot of protein. Colored hair is generally damaged and likes a lot of protein, but if your hair is truly low porosity, it might not like that much protein. The general adverse reaction is brittleness and loosened curls; the hair may also repel water.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • BabyGiraffeBabyGiraffe Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 said:
    I would try following the Curly Girl method, which means going silicone free. You do a sulfate wash to clear out all the build-up from silicones, and then you start on a silicone-free regimen. Some people like to use conditioner to wash their hair (known as co-washing), while others like to use a sulfate-free shampoo (gentler than a sulfate shampoo). The basics are outlined in Lorraine Massey's book "Curly Girl."

I would avoid the Shea Moisture products, as the shea butter in them is notorious for causing problems with hair (it can cause a dry, coated feeling on hair). Once you have your hair a little more under control, you can start to experiment with Shea Moisture if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it right now.

As far as products go, I would recommend checking out RockynCurls' blog: http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/2016/04/raquels-favorite-cg-products.html. I think she might have a hair texture similar to yours. Her blog is full of useful info. 

In general, the Kinky Curly Come Clean poo is a good one for clarifying but kind of harsh for regular use. If you find that your hair keeps getting build-up, you will probably want to use a sulfate-free shampoo for regular use rather than a co-wash, since conditioners will tend to sit on top of your hair. You might need to do a deep conditioning treatment to get the conditioner to penetrate your hair instead of sitting on top (this basically means leaving conditioner on your hair for 15-30 minutes, then rinsing out).

DevaCurl products are silicone free (they were developed by Lorraine Massey, who created the Curly Girl method), so they are suitable, but you just have to be aware that they have a lot of protein. Colored hair is generally damaged and likes a lot of protein, but if your hair is truly low porosity, it might not like that much protein. The general adverse reaction is brittleness and loosened curls; the hair may also repel water.
    Thank you so much! This is so helpful. I thought I was doing well switching products, but guess I completely forgot about silicones and didn't check my KM stuff, doh! It's all a learning process, especially when you learn it later in life, ha... 

Going to check out that blog for sure! And try to pick something that may be good to try next. I may still have my old DevaCurl products around somewhere, but can I get samples of some stuff? That might be a good option...

Either way, this information is soooo helpful. Is there a way to know if my hair needs more protein?
    As far as samples go, I know that Jessicurl gives samples (or at least used to). I don't know about anyone else. Curl Junkie has samples, but they cost (they come in sets). You can also try buying your hair products at a place like Ulta or Sephora, and they will take them back if they don't work for you.

As for protein, generally if your hair doesn't hold its curl well and feels mushy, it could use protein. You could try doing a gelatin protein treatment (find the recipe on the Science-y Hair Blog), and that would be pure protein on your hair and could maybe be used as a way to test how your hair responds. Otherwise, you could use some protein-rich products and see how your hair responds after several uses in a row. Generally, most people find that when they have protein overload, their hair gets brittle and tangly and straighter and takes quite a bit longer to dry (due to the strands being waterlogged and not allowing the water to evaporate readily).
  • AmylizabethAmylizabeth Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like to do a full scalp exfoliation once a month.  Even without silicones, I find I get build up and my hair will look greasy if I don't.. I mix about 2 teaspoons of baking soda with a good blob of conditioner and a couple drops of peppermint oil. Then massage it through wet hair, focusing on my scalp.  Leave it on for a couple minutes, then rinse and condition as usual. Works wonders!  
    2C Fine, long hair, a ton of it. Blonde balayage. East Coast Canadian. 

Wash: Live Clean Fresh Water Hydrating Shampoo
    Monthly Scalp Cleanse: Baking Soda/Conditioner/Peppermint Essential Oil
    CO: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive Conditioner
    Styling: Devacurl Volumizing Foam, Devacurl Wave Maker, Garnier Curl Treat Jelly
    Refresh Day: Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle, Devacurl Supercream
    Deep Condition: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Treatment

My whole wash routine is upside-down... detangling, rinsing, applying products, scrunching, diffusing... the bigger the waves, the better!  
  • erikawithacerikawithac Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I know this is a pretty old post but in case anyone with a similar problem comes around my simple answer is, if your hair is looking greasy even after washing it, you might need to use warm water and also just wash more often. CG-friendly shampoos should be gentle enough that you don't need to be afraid to use them, because they're nourishing rather than stripping and drying like conventional stuff.

I think sometimes the simplest answer is the truest one, and, "My hair looks dirty" might just mean you're not cleaning it often/thoroughly enough.
    Innsersense Pure Harmony Hairbath, Pure Inspiration Conditioner, Sweet Spirit leave-in, I Create Hold gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file