Overall help?

SpookykalanchoeSpookykalanchoe Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So I grew up with absolutely no guidance with how to deal with wavy/curly hair. My mom has 1b or 1c hair and would try to take care of my hair like hers. I'd have to brush my hair out on a daily basis and wasn't allowed to use conditioner until I was like eleven or so. I've been following the Curly Girl method since around June and I think I'm doing a lot but I don't know what else to do. 

I think my hair is 2c/3a, it's awfully damaged from bleach and dyes, normal thickness, and I think high porosity? I'm pretty sure my hair loves protein--when I was twelve and thirteen I used to not cut out any ingredients (so parabens, sulfates, silicones, etc. were all in play), use henna regularly which supposedly loosens curl pattern, and I would use LeKair Cholesterol Plus Conditioning and Strengthening Crème multiple times a week and I managed to have really, really nice curls.

And then I cut it all off like the edgy teen I was and dyed the utter crap out of it. LeKair was discontinued and at points I would repeatedly use boxed dyes, up to one or more a week. Luckily my mom wouldn't let me bleach until I was eighteen lol. I think I only used it three or four times until I turned nineteen, but I used henna almost weekly for seven months. 

Now this is when **** hits the fan. I tried to get the henna out of my hair and in the process used three ish vitamin C treatments and two rounds of 40 vol. bleach in one night. I slapped some manic panic on it to tone it all down somewhat and that kinda worked? 

Then I did a bleach bath a month or so later and cut all but an inch and a half off. I (finally) stopped dying back in March and switched over to CG in June. I'm going to try for a DevaCut soon but I'm not sure what else to do. My current process is to cowash with suave naturals, condition with GVP conditioning balm, DC with the garnier fructis hair treats, cantu moisturizing curl crème, flaxseed and LA looks gels, and sometimes herbal essences curl defining mousse. I generally sleep in a plop because I like night showers but I don't wet it daily (I like the plop more than my scarf) but I always have so, so much frizz.

What else should I be doing? Should I be doing things differently? My profile is a recent picture of a really good hair day. 

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  I think now that you've stopped with all the chemical treatments, it's just a matter of waiting for your hair to grow out.  Your products look pretty good.  The only thing I see missing is some kind of protein.  I think LA Looks has some, but I don't think any of the others do. 

To add some protein into the mix, you could get Neutral Protein Filler from Sally's and add some to your conditioner.  Don't pre-mix, because it goes bad fast.  Just add a few drops into a handful of conditioner - or add some to your FSG.  Another option would be a protein deep treatment, something like Curl Junkie Repair Me or Deva Deep Sea Repair.  A lot of people (including me) like the DIY gelatin treatment, but I'm starting to move away from that.  I now prefer either using a little bit daily, or doing a deep conditioner treatment.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    How much of your hair is virgin now vs what isn’t? I think you know now that twice with 40 volume and bleaching out henna is really bad, I’m just wondering if you’ve damaged your hair beyond repairable and that’s why it’s frizzy. Second protein. I really like the DIY gelatin and I would suggest a bond rebuilder of some kind if the majority is still bleach damaged.
  • SpookykalanchoeSpookykalanchoe Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited September 2018
    Honestly I think it's just an inch (if that) left over from summer 2017 with the two 40 vol processes. Going from my scalp to around five or six inches is virgin hair and the rest just had bleach baths, the last of which was in March. Chemical dye and henna isn't an automatic disaster so long as the henna doesn't have metallic salts added, as those are what reacts. The issue is more with how much of a b*tch henna is to get out of hair. My hair tends to lighten without many issues, I just had gotten bored with having the same color for the better part of eight months. The bleach baths that I did were mostly to lift semi permanent colors or when I managed to dye my hair red accidentally with fake blood.

I've been thinking a gelatin treatment for a while but I had forgotten to pick up a packet when I went food shopping last, but I'm going to try to do a treatment on Friday. Ideally I would love to find a cholesterol conditioner that's CG, but I can wait for a company to make one that would rival the LeKair I used to use.

Edit: so I plugged the ingredients into a CG ingredient search bar and the LeKair with the only ingredient not CG being mineral oil (which I use already sparingly anyway) so I might try to track down a tub of it.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think the others have given excellent advice. The only other thing I would add is that you might want to do a clarifying shampoo. Since you are co-washing, you could use a sulfate-free shampoo to clarify. Or if you want to pull out the big guns, you could use a sulfate. All products build up on the hair over time, even CG-approved ones, so something has to be done to get rid of the build-up.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you bleach bathed your whole head in March, it's not virgin hair until about 3 to 4 inches and the rest may be damaged. Even without the metallic salts, henna is still practically permanent and shouldn't be bleached out (it's possible, yes, but the damage is often not worth). Also if you ever go back to semi permanent, I suggest using Katie's fading treatment (Google it) instead of bleach bath. It will save your hair a bit and you won't run the risk of driving semi permanent deeper into the hair (essentially oxidizing them). If you have access to Colourb4 in the UK, that is supposedly another good option for removing them.
    Now for your hair, definitely clarify and try the gelatin or another protein packed treatment. You might also consider JOICO k pak treatment or ApHogee 2 minute protein treatment. Both have mineral oil too though. They are helpful in maintaining protein. Also pick up a good moisturizing deep conditioner and use it once a week. Your hair wants and needs moisture. I really like the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil one and True by Made Beautiful Intensive Treatment Masque. Both are inexpensive and can be found at Sally. Your styling products look good, but Cantu may weigh down your hair a bit or build up (I had a really bad experience with Cantu products so I'm biased against them. Haha). I would incorporate a protein treatment and good moisture deep conditioners and see how your hair looks and feels in a month.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file