2C/3A Hair Help Cruncy Hair/confused about products!!

briebab23briebab23 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I've been researching my hair for months and I am just as confused (if not more so than when I started researching). I believe my hair is 2c/3a but it is hard to tell because there are a lot of pictures people use that show celebrities with heat-produced curls and not natural curls to show curl patterns. I have some loose S shaped curls, but I also have very tight spiral curls as well. (all of these are underneath my hair) It is odd because the parts of my hair that have these spiral curls only have spirals on the top half of the hair strands but the bottom of the same strand leveling out to a straighter wave. If that makes sense.. Anyways. I feel like I have tried sooo many products and I just haven't really found anything I like so far. I can't tell if my hair is high or low porosity either. I do know that it is course. I have learned that my hair DOES NOT like butters (especially shea butter) it weighs my hair down and feels very greasy. This also goes for oils, I can not wash them out of my hair without a sulfate. That being said.. I have been using DevaCurl No-Poo and One Condition. My hair DOES like those products. I have also been using L.A Looks Styling gel, Herbal Essence Set Me Up Hair Gel, Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves Curl Defining Cream with Grape Seed oil. Now, this has been leaving my hair soooo crunchy. I even tried the tresemme flawless curls gel but felt like this was the culprit to the crunchy hair so I switched it out for the Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves Gel.. to no avail.<br>HOWEVER. Today, I had a small breakthrough which confused me even more.. I did my weekly wash with DevaCurl No Poo and One Condition. I then turned the to very hot and soaked it thoroughly then immediately applied "Hi*PRO*PAC Extremely Damaged Hair Repair Intense Protein Treatment.. left it on about for 30 minutes. Rinsed it out with cold water, then added a little bit of DC One condition as a leave in.. while my hair was soaking wet I added Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves Curly Defining Cream, L.A Looks styling Gel, and the HE Set Me Up gel spray before Plopping.. and to my surprise.. my hair is not crunchy at all. It is soft and bouncy which has never happened before. Obviously the hair treatment played a role in this.. but thats not something I do everyday. How can I keep my hair like this on refresher days when I am just using those same products? I am worried they will go back to being crunchy. PS, my hair has also been falling out in CLUMPS and my scalp is a little itchy today&nbsp;<br><br><br>

Comments

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds like the crunchiness in your hair may be a gel cast. If that's the case, it's very easy to get rid of. Once your hair is dry, take a tiny bit of oil (any oil will do) and scrunch out the crunch. You can do this any time you feel that your hair is crunchy. On refresh days, you can use a mist-spray bottle or just wet your hands a little and smooth it over your hair to bring some life back into your curls. You can also use a leave in conditioner for this if you feel your hair needs more moisture. That shouldn't make your hair crunchy.

Also from your description it sounds like your hair is low porosity. That would explain why when you used hot water for a protein treatment your hair felt softer. Low porosity hair needs heat in order to open up the hair shaft to soak in all the moisture and product. Also try playing around with the amount of product you're using just use a gel or just a cream, etc. and see how  your hair feels. When all else fails, just scrunch out the crunch like I said above. Hope this helps!
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree. It sounds like it's low porosity since oils just sit on top. Also the crunch is good. It means you have hold. Just gently scrunch out the crunch when it is 100% dry and you will be left with defined soft curls.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Your Not Your Mother's, Hi Pro Pac and Tresemme all have silicones.  The NYM's has several, along with several polyquats.  The Tresemme gel has only one that's water soluble, so it might be ok to use, but not the best quality.  Your Deva Low Poo will probably not be able to remove all of that.

First, I would suggest clarifying with a sulfate shampoo.  Just make sure it's silicone free.  Then find some new styling products.  You like the Deva - have you tried the Ultra Defining Gel?  Whatever you get, give it a try and see if you still get the same crunchiness.  The silicones may have nothing to do with it, but it's good to start fresh with really clean hair, and go from there.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file