What did you do to your hair today? Week of Sept. 24

Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
I washed and styled yesterday, but it turned out so bad I had to redo it today.

I'm discovering that my hair just doesn't like any change in products.  Yesterday I switched out my curl enhancer from Innersense I Create Volume to Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha and my hair rebelled.  I switched back to the iVolume today. 

Do you switch up your products a lot?  Or do you stick to the same tried and true routine every day?
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I typically switch out a product here and there based on what my hair needs or how the weather will be. But I use the same products just to use them up before going onto something else.
    I washed with Shea Moisture JBCO Shampoo and deep conditioner with Shea Moisture 10 in 1 Masque which has a lingering not so pleasant smell. Me and smells lately haven't been getting on. Haha.
    When I rinsed out my hair, it was drier than before I put the Masque on. Not so sure how that happened but whatever. I did use Shea Moisture JBCO leave in because the air here is getting drier (cue the time of the year where my face flakes off and I look like an extra from the Walking Dead). I followed up with my  cream and a lot of gel. I've been experimenting with more gel. I have seen no benefits to this though, and first day hair is a bit flatter and controlled than I like.
    I accidentally left it in a plop for longer than usual while I cooked but the only downside was a bit of wonky angles in my waves. Scrunched out the crunch with a pea sized amount of liquid pomade from Carols Daughter. Waves are soft, shiny, and very moisturized. I wonder how long it will last.
    I'm sorry you had to rewash. First the dryer, and now this. Hope try number 2 turns out well!
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So on Sunday, I went from this:
    (Some pictures I took to show a friend how long my hair was out of a ponytail)

To this:

We played with Innersense products, and they are not my HG, I'm afraid. My hair was completely flat this morning, so I had to soak my hair with my hand held shower, used a pea sized amount of my Tresemme and curl creams (I have them cocktails in a travel bottle), then a half palm full of LA looks. First time I've ever had my waves last all day 😁

This was this morning 

Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Looks great @Keeyamah!  The shorter length really brings out the waves!
    Current products:
    I know. All day at work it was "I didn't know you had wavy hair." I am loving it, the weight of my hair was aggravating my headaches and now it won't 😁  and my hair grows really fast,  so if I change my mind, it won't take long 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Quite a change. It looks great. I want to cut my hair to your length, but I have lack of courage, lack of faith in stylists, and no knowledge of how to preserve without a pineapple.
    Go for it @BrittanyM, lol. Come visit and see can go see Whitney (my stylist) together 😁. I completely understand. Whitney made double sure I would be ok going so short. About a decade ago, maybe a little longer, I went from longer than it was to a pixie cut, and I've gone this short before, within the last 3 years, because it's been while I was working here, possibly twice.

I took in some pictures of styles that I liked the look of, and we went for it. I frequently have to refresh by completely soaking my hair, so beyond throwing my satin cap on, I don't worry about preserving my waves, lol. 

• bobbybobby Posts: 784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Spiral perm rod set.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @Keeyamah ; Love that cut! 
    @bobby I love thinking about your time in the salon with all the ladies, talking about hair. : ) 
    @Guide 65  I have basically used the same products and the same routine for almost 15 years. I try new products and do experiments just for the fun of it. 

Tonight's experiment is going to be a rice water rinse. How I missed this topic for years I don't know. But I think I'll give it a try just to see what it does! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    @jeepcurlygurl, how did the rice water go? Did you just steep rice in water for a bit or ferment it? I want to try it, but i've heard the smell is interesting and I'm not a fan of bad smells (why I can't ever do a vinegar rinse). Just wondering what you thought.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM I just cooked up some regular white rice, let it sit to cool, strained out the rice, poured the rice water over my dry hair and let it fall into a bowl so I could keep pouring it over my hair a few times. I put it into a shower cap and turban towel, waited about 10 minutes, condition washed, added gel, plopped as usual.
    As most people seem to say, it really made my hair feel soft. I'm not really a fan of soft hair because it tends to lose it's definition but it sure feels nice.
    And it has no smell at all (probably since I didn't ferment it).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I adore FRW rinses. This Summer, I didn't bother with conditioner, and just used that. I use a squirt bottle to apply, leave it on a few minutes while I do shower stuff, and rinse. I then sealed with 50-50 castor/avocado oil, added my gel, and I was done. Easy peasy! It was AWESOME!

Alas, the season is changing and dew points are falling. I will dearly miss the convenience of the Summer routine. I haven't settled on a new routine, as I'm still fussing with it. AUGH!!! Why must this constantly be an experiment in progress!!!  
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder why everyone's hair is so different?!  Rice water rinses make my hair feel tangled and stiff, definitely not soft, not silky or shiny or conditioned in any way.  I've tried just soaking rice in water and fermenting it, doesn't make a different.  The only thing I haven't done is cook it.

@BrittanyM, unfermented rice water doesn't smell like anything.  But fermented is kinda gross.  I  get mold in mine - really gross.  If you don't like weird smells, don't ferment it!
    Current products:
    I may just use left over water from making rice for supper one day. I so want to do this with pasta water, but i really dont want to explain to my family why i am taking pots of water to the bathroom. Haha. 
    PS I did cook my rice as I usually do, and used it for supper. Some people say to cook the rice for a long long time and then throw it away. I didn't do it that way.
  • CurlyD24CurlyD24 Posts: 83Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I've had to use dandruff shampoo (organic and no sulfate, but still stronger than a regular low-poo) and follow up with my Innersense shampoo as a double cleanse because of the crazy hard water I have at my new apartment. I bought a water filter but I just found out it doesn't fit. I'm going to have to reorder one... 
    Other than that, I've been using my Calia conditioner and gel and I'm still loving both. No problem with the beeswax so far. 
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
    Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file