Do you diffuse when you refresh your 2nd day hair?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Please give me some of your best tips for 2nd day hair.  When I diffuse my hair after poo or cowash it helps the curls a lot, but I'm still struggling with 2nd day hair and wondering if I should diffuse.  Would it be bad for the hair to diffuse every day? What do you do?
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't. Oddly enough, I've discovered less is truly more.

I read a refreshing tip somewhere where the poster said the best way to do it (after pineappling or some sort of protection overnight - I use a sleep cap) was to wet your hands and ruffle up the root area only.

I currently do that with a tad bit of modification. While I do that first, afterwards I check to see if any of the curls are at an unacceptable frizz level. To those areas only, I add a tiny bit of leave in to wet hands, smooth on, and finger curl. If I'm in a hurry, I do the root area only and a quick damp hand smoothing over the canopy. I never would have believed this would have worked until I got curious and tried it.
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I don't diffuse on any other day other than wash day. I try not to get my hair so wet on refresh days that diffusing is necessary since my hair grows in volume as the days go by anyway. I normally let my hair air dry unless I'm in a pinch and I don't want to show up somewhere with sopping wet curls. Hope this helps! 
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BeinDeb, thanks so much for your post.  I'm going to try that.  I think I have been totally overdoing 2nd day hair by putting in additional products and then diffusing.  It ends up a sticky mess and I get frustrated and after shampoo I just set it on rollers.  I don't like that look as much as the curly look on me but at least with a roller set I get a few days out of it without redoing.  I'm going to try doing what you suggest.  Less is more!
    Heycnic216 - I really appreciate that you chimed in.  I'm going to try air drying after following BeinDeb's advice and hopefully get better results.  Thank you for posting!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I do, sometimes.  I dampen my hair and add a tiny bit of gel, then pin the roots and air dry.  But I still need to get to work on time, and I need to look professional so no going to work with wet hair.  Plus winter is pretty harsh here, no way am I going outside with wet hair.  So yeah, I diffuse for a few minutes if my hair isn't dry when I need to leave.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I do. I have to get my hair pretty wet (though only the lengths) and add a bit more mousse to have any hope of second day hair, so I have to diffuse too. Luckily I don't have to do it for so long as on wash day.
    3b in South Australia.
    Thanks for chiming in Guide65.  I have such problems with 2nd day hair.  In high dews it is impossible and even in better conditions I often resort to a hot curling brush to straighten it somehwat.
    Starmie, I might try some mousse to see if it adds volume.  That's one of  my problems with 2nd day hair - it's flat.  Thanks for the suggestion.
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For my second or third day hair, I use a micro mist sprayer and dampen just enough to reactivate my existing products, then I scrunch carefully and if I'm in a hurry, I will use my diffuser for about 2 minutes to get the cast to start forming again.  Then I let my hair airdry the rest of the way... which is not much because it's not saturated.  Then when dry again, I SOTC.  I can get to about day 4 before a rewash and style is necessary. 
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• FrauLynnFrauLynn Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I totally agree with BienDeb. Less is more for me on days 2 and 3. I let my hair down from a pineapple and get in the shower and let the mist get it a little wet. When I get out, I do a little light scrunching and air dry. If I have limp strands, I finger curl with some spray made with distilled water, conditioner, and a mix of oils (lavender, ylang ylang, and geranium-- good for scalp health). Definitely no more product! It makes my hair sticky and frizzy.
    2b curls, medium length, medium texture, medium-thick volume, low porosity
    Clarify: VO5 Lime Squeeze, Shampoo: SM low porosity line, Conditioner: SM low porosity line, Deep Conditioner: SM Deep Treatment Masque, Style: Deva Curl Wavemaker or LA Looks max gel (depending on hold)
    Wow Ondulee - 4 days!  I'm jealous :)  Thanks for responding.
    FrauLynn, I guess I will go with your advice - less is more.  
    Thanks to all who answered my question.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file