Curly and environmentally friendly.

CurlsAbroadCurlsAbroad Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hi folks! I am currently at a lodging place where the water will only come out of the shower in a trickle. While annoying, it means I only used .9 liters of water to wash/condition my hair and body and shoes, and I still got completely clean. So, I'm just going to give a few tips for water conservation so you can save money and the planet!

The average American uses 500 liters of water per day, the average European 300, and the average African 20.

-if you can, collect the cold water that comes out while you're waiting for the shower to warm up in a bucket. From there, you can use it to do a cold rinse before you get out. If you don't do cold rinses, you can water your garden with it, use it for mop water, any DIY concoctions, or literally anything else you can think of.
-wet your hair thoroughly, then turn the water off while you wash or s2c. Don't turn it back on until you're ready to rinse. This will take some getting used to, but it already feels like so much of a waste to have water running when I'm only using it because it feels good/keeps me warm.
- using products that are CG approved aren't only good for your hair; they're usually good for the earth!
- I like to see it as a competition: how little water can I use and still get the job done.

wishing you happy hair and a happy earth :)
Type: 3a (ish)
Density: medium
Porosity: low/normal
Thickess: medium

Current Routine:
- J.R. Liggett Coconut and Argan Oil shampoo bar (sulfate free, silicone free, detergent free)
- S2C with Beauty and the Bees conditioner bar
-scrunch out the water, then apply Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk
-plop as long as I can
-scrunch with water often

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Great tips, and a great reminder to be careful with our resources! 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    We're always mindful of the amount of water we use here - never know when another drought will hit and we may be back on water restrictions. That said, I wash/shave legs etc while conditioner's in my hair so I'm not just standing there doing nothing with water running down the drain, not sure I could manage turning the taps off like that!
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file