Help for undefined low porosity hair

DanielleMcCDanielleMcC Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited September 2018 in Low Porosity
I desperately need help with my hair. I have low porosity, thick density, a mix of medium and fine strand, 2b hair with waves and curls. Right now my hair is awful and I can't figure out how to fix it. My curl pattern has loosened and I have no definition, I can't keep any style in even with a curling iron, it's silly soft (like too soft),but it's also frizzy and fluffy. I thought maybe it was overconditoned or had build up so I've tried not using conditioner (worse, now dry and frizzy), and tried clarifying with apple cider vinegar but it didn't work. Keratin products also didn't work. Nothing is working. I shouldn't be lacking protein as I use products with protein in them (devacurl specifically which has hydrolyzed proteins). It's like everything is just sitting on my hair. I've tried a dozen shampoo, conditioner and curl products and it's like nothing gets through. This keeps happening frequently in the past year, I don't think I've ever fixed it, it just gets a bit better or worse and I don't know how to prevent it.  Wound appreciate any help. 

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,059Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    2 questions.
    Have you tried clarifying with a sulfate shampoo? This is the best way to remove build up I find.
    Have you tired going protein free? It seems there is a correlation between protein sensitive and low porosity hair.
  • DanielleMcCDanielleMcC Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    BrittanyM...I have used sulfate shampoos but not necessarily a clarifying one..maybe I should try that. I've also considered going protein free but I was wondering if that might cause my hair to be more overconditioned? 

Practically any sulfate shampoo without silicone will work as a clarifying one. It's just if you have build up which can cause negative effects on your hair.
    As to protein free, not necessarily. Just be sure you are not deep conditioning overnight. What products are you using? I know you mentioned Deva curl which has extracts that reportedly work like protein.
  • DanielleMcCDanielleMcC Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    My shampoo and conditioner  changes. I have tried cowashing and low poo and both didn't work for me as my hair got really weighed down. I usually use a salon shampoo and conditioner that's made for fine hair or claims to be weightless. The only styling products I use are Devacurl Light Defining gel which I alternate with Mop Top Curl custard. I've used some products that I also shouldn't have used when I was desperate for hair help recently, like Chi Keratin Spray...it just sits on top of my hair causing build up. I think build up probably is my biggest problem, and having low porosity so no actual moisture happening just everything sitting on top. I will try clarifying and going protein free...thanks 😊
    You can try using a sulfate more often if you are not experiencing dryness. I would avoid cowashing completely as it probably does weigh your hair down. I would avoid most oils and all butters, and stick to water based leave ins and light gels... maybe ignoring all leave ins. But I think you already knew that. I would just clarify at first. If the problem persists, maybe avoid protein for a while to see what happens. Best of luck! Let us know how everything is going. We are all here to help.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,500Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM has given you a lot of good advice. I too suspect protein sensitivity. When you read your product labels, be careful to avoid hidden proteins like grain extracts or soy extract.

I find that protein sensitivity resolves in two or three weeks if you don't use any protein. I would start with a clarifying sulfate poo that doesn't have silicones.

If you feel like everything is sitting on top of your hair, you could do a short deep-conditioning treatment with your rinse-out conditioner, say, for 10 minutes. I find that if my hair is very low porosity, the conditioner just sits on top of my hair and doesn't absorb, leaving me with dry hair that looks greasy. Deep conditioning will help some moisture get into the hair strands.

I have also recently found that diffusing my hair on high heat (low speed, but high heat) will help break down some of the excess protein. In effect, you are causing very slight damage to the hair. Not everyone will feel comfortable doing this, but I find that doing it once in a blue moon when I have protein overload is OK.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Thanks so much for the answers and advice. I have now gone protein free so have to wait and see what happens. I also think my hair hates glycerin (probably because of the climate I live in) so cutting that out too. Hopefully one or both of these things will help. Now it's just patience 🙄
  • MspeirMspeir Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @DanielleMcC, Did your hair get any better? I am having the same issues. Undefined, soft, frizzy hair. I tried clarifying but that didn't work. When I do the strand test my hair snaps easily, but other than that it doesn't seem to be protein overload, because it is soft. My hair is 2b, low porosity. 
    Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file