My curls are clumping too much!

RsunnyRsunny Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited September 2018 in Hair Type 3
I have chin length (when curly) 3a/3b hair, fine-medium texture and low-medium density. I know clumping is a good thing as it creates more identifiable curls, but with my hair I think my hair clumps too well. I seems to have multiple curls that wrap around each other. This creates tubes of curls and even when I separate them once they're dry, they re-wrap around each other after a few minutes. This results in the appearance of thinner hair ad less volume/flatness. Is this my haircut? How I'm styling? What I can do differently?

An example is that big front curl, it just keeps rewrapping. Now that my hair is a few inches longer, my hair isn't looking as perky anymore.

Answers

• CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Posts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I'm sorry to not be helpful, but I love how your curls wrap around one another!  It's beautiful.  I wish that my curls would do that.  I'll be interested to see what solutions folks have for you.  I suspect that lots of people are going to say, "I wish my hair would do that!"  ;-)
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Haha. I wish my hair would do that.
    you can try putting a drop of oil on your finger tips, emulsify it so it’s just a sheen, and gently separate the clump from root to tip. Gently being the key word and do this on dry curls only. It may or may not cause frizz depending on how sensitive your hair is.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I guess I can't be helpful either, since I also love big clumpy curls! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can't help either since I also love big clumpy curls and would gladly exchange some of my skinny ones for yours.  Sigh.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    edited October 2018
    I guess the lesson here is you should just embrace your big, huggy curls! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 92Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    It might be that your hair is all the same length and it's overwhelming.  If you go on YT and search Janelle O'Shaugnessy  you can see her Devacut video (not the one of her friends) the stylist explains that her hair is over clumping because it's the same length at certain spots.  hTH!
  • MamaJTBMamaJTB Posts: 27Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I have the same problem with my curls in front around my face.  They grow/curl forward towards my face and “superclump” for the first 3” or so.  If I pick them apart they find each other over and over again - so annoying!  I don’t want one giant curl!  Two things help - the cut and hairspray.

I’ve had a stylist pick the superclump apart and layer it, which does help it to stay in separate multiple curls until it grows out too much (then superclump creeps back in).  I also always try to gently pick it apart into its layers once dry and set it with Devacurl hairsparay.  Again, helpful but not a permanent solution.  For me, my curls grow forward for those first 3” then backwards behind them, causing a natural separation/superclump.  I would talk it over with your stylist.  It may be that you need more frequent trims to refresh that section and keep it the way you like.
    2C/3A, low porosity, thin density, color treated, protein sensitive
  • hmr1016hmr1016 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a bunch of super tube-y clumps too! They're all around my ears and they make no sense in the middle of a bunch of wavy hair. Some of them are big like yours, while others are quite thin and it looks like someone just wrapped the hair around a pencil--just a strange little hair tube. Sometimes I have success using the pointy end of a sectioning comb to gently separate the tubes, and then using hair spray to keep the separated pieces in place. 
    Current 2B/2C Routine:
    Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
    Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
    Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
    Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

• CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Posts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I came across this You Tube video (holy moly, this woman has beautiful curls!).  When you get to ~9min:50sec in the video, she takes product and unclumps sections of her curls.  She walks you through it.  I think it boils down to having enough product on your hands.  She says that she does it when her hair is not quite dry.  Hth!  

• mixedpowerpuffmixedpowerpuff Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    My hair does that too!! I wish I knew how to fix it, it makes hair typing really confusing. 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have the same issue, especially with my left front (particularly that same front curl as OP).  Finger coiling the hair in opposite directions has helped me.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • rabarrabar Posts: 62Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    Hi!  I have to work to get clumps, so I can tell you what I avoid in order to get them.  Do you apply your products on sopping wet hair?  I find when I do, I get clumps, but if I apply them on damp hair (or t-shirt dried hair), the clumps do not form.  If I rake products into my sopping wet hair (instead of using a light-handed praying hands), the clumps don't form.  When I use coconut oil in my hair (except as a pre-poo), my clumps don't form.  You might try raking products into damp hair, and using a little oil, if you haven't tried already...
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • SkyeswomSkyeswom Posts: 15Registered Users Curl Novice
    My clump is behind my right ear. I'm still trying to figure it out. Darn things keep finding each other, and only in that one spot!

If I try pulling them apart like the girl in the video @CurlyJennyD posted, they lose definition, and then they tangle.

It may be related to length, but I didn't consider layers so @MamaJTB I'll ask my stylist about that. The curl pattern changes based on the length, so I was going to try and have her trim it but maybe I'll see if she wants to try layering that section instead...

One thing I have noticed is the amount of product. It seems like the more product I use, the more they clump. So it's magic of just enough product to maintain overall, but not too much to avoid the clump. @rabar I'll try sopping wet vs damp to see if that helps. Maybe also warm vs cold rinse to see if that makes a difference.

So now to try cold rinse, minimal product, on damp hair with layers.

The hair at the base of my scalp also knots up in a big wad, so the back of my hair looks thin - but that's a separate post ;-)
  • Brigitta.FilBrigitta.Fil Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem - the curls on the sides and in the back clump too much and even if I separate them, they find each other and re-clump :neutral: what has helped me is not applying the product to totally wet hair, but rather when it's just really damp - e.g. after plopping for 10 mins. Then I apply the product, and scrunch away, but at the end I separate the very clumped sections/thick clumps. And, even though we are not supposed to do that, and it gives a little bit of frizz, I scrunch a few times WHILE diffusing. Another idea I have is after plopping and applying the product, brush the hair with a denman brush/wetbrush to separate the curls into smaller clumps. 
  • CURLifeCURLife Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited May 4
    I have the same problem with my curls forming these "superclumps", also especially the curls framing my face. I have to say, it feels comforting to hear other curlies having issues with these superclumps... Although of course, I wish everyone to not have any curl-issues at all!  <3
    I just did a (maybe somewhat overdue) protein treatment, and not only are my curls way curlier (I am 3b/3c but today they're more 3c than 3b), but also, my superclumps have not appeared today! So, maybe doing a protein treatment or increasing the use of protein in your products can help. My "protein treatment" actually consisted in leaving my high-on-aloe-vera-conditioner in for 10 minutes (it is a conditioner I only use as a protein treatment, the slip is horrible but aloe always does wonders for my curls) and rinsing it out. Then using a dollop of that same conditioner as a leave-in, smooth and scrunch in some SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie (which also contains protein) and a little of my mousse (also high on aloe) and diffuse. I didn't even finger coil or anything! Now that I come to think about it, my washdays that have been focused on protein always resulted in springier, less superclump-y curls (of course you don't want to overdo it either)! 
    Also, @Rsunny ,you said that now that your hair is longer, it isn't looking as perky anymore. But maybe the lack of "perkiness" is actually a sign that your hair could use some protein. My hair is way perkier now, after loading it up on protein. Hopefully this helps! :smile:
    Type 3b, 3c | Low porosity | Thick hair | CGM

Current products
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    Conditioner when in need of moisture: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Calming Conditioner / KinkyCurly Knot Today 
    Conditioner when in need of protein: Sukin Natural Balance Conditioner
    Deep conditioner: Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment (no fragrance) / SheaMoisture African Black Soap Purification Masque
    Repairing treatment: Olaplex No 3 
    Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Calming Conditioner / As I Am Leave In Conditioner
    Mousse: Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam
    Curl cream: SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,977Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @CURLife, I'm glad you've found something that works for you!  Just a small correction though - aloe is not a protein.  It's a good ingredient for some, but it's not a protein.  

There are many, many different sources of protein, so it can be tricky to pick them out of an ingredient list.  Protein ingredients will sometimes say "protein", or it might say "hydrolyzed" - such as "hydrolyzed rice protein". There are some that use neither word, but are still protein.  But not aloe, and not coconut.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • CURLifeCURLife Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited May 4
    @Guide 65 , you're right, aloe vera juice/gel is not in itself a protein, since it actually contains a whole bunch of stuff. But one of the things that are in aloe vera is protein (at least, that's what it says here: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/the-science-of-aloe-vera-gel). I saw that there has been a whole bunch of discussion on the forum about whether or not aloe is a protein, so I guess it's not really clear what the deal is exactly...
    For me, personally, I have found that anything high on aloe acts as a protein-product for my hair. It really strengthens, repairs and defines. But I am a bit protein-sensitive, so I guess even a small amount of protein, like in aloe, already does a lot for my hair  ;) I guess I should have been a little clearer about that..
    And, products will act differently for everyone's hair, so I guess all I can say to anyone about aloe vera is to just try it out and see what it does for your hair! But you're right, if you're looking for a protein treatment, the best way would probably be a product with a bunch of ingredients that are 100% for sure proteins ;) . But even so: if your hair is overclumping and not looking as perky as usual, maybe a little protein can help! :smile:
    Type 3b, 3c | Low porosity | Thick hair | CGM

Current products
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    Conditioner when in need of moisture: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Calming Conditioner / KinkyCurly Knot Today 
    Conditioner when in need of protein: Sukin Natural Balance Conditioner
    Deep conditioner: Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment (no fragrance) / SheaMoisture African Black Soap Purification Masque
    Repairing treatment: Olaplex No 3 
    Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Calming Conditioner / As I Am Leave In Conditioner
    Mousse: Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam
    Curl cream: SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file