My hair didn't respond well to CG?

SarahDouglassSarahDouglass Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I have 2b hair, which is now recovered from a damaging bleach treatment (thank you, Schwartzkopf). I was using their black bottle, Ultra Damage Repair with liquid keratin. When I ran out of the shampoo, I bought the L'Oreal Ever Curl sulfate free shampoo (FYI, I have never and will never put sulfates in my hair). I was using that with my Schwartzkopf conditioner, but yesterday I skipped the shampoo and just conditioned followed by the Eva NYC pink bottle hair mask. I plopped with a t-shirt for about an hour. Today, my hair is not frizzy. There are more curls, however, my hair is flat and the curls aren't as defined as they usually are. Help?

Routine:
Condition with Schwartzkopf ultra damage repair  
Squish to condish with Eva NYC mask
Scrunch with t-shirt
Scrunch in Tresemme firm hold gel and OGX Argan oil
Plop with t-shirt

Best Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Guide 65 has it right. Silicones are put into products for about three main reasons: 1) They coat the hair artificially making it seem smooth and sleek. 2) They make products more luxurious to the touch and spread easier. 3) They lock in moisture and block out humidity... now this sounds good but it is a double edge sword. While it locks out moisture it also blocks it out. Once it builds up, the hair slowly loses its moisture but it can't get it back because of the silicones. What does hair do when it loses moisture? It loses definition and frizzes. What does build up of silicones look like? Flatness, lack of volume, frizz, and/or a coating feeling on the hair.
    I would use a sulfate shampoo at least once a week if you continue to use your styling products. You may get a few sulfate free shampoos without much consequence. Hope this helps!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    @Gretchen, I believe it has both a sulfoacetate and a sulfosucinate - neither of which are technically sulfates, but are said to be just as harsh as sulfates.  But on top of that, it also has a couple different silicones in it, as well as polyquats.  It's probably best to stay away from that product.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited September 2018
    Ok. How long have you tried CG?
    And also OGX Argan Oil has silicone I'm decently sure. I have one Eva NYC product which has a silicone to albeit supposedly water soluble. I'm unfamiliar with the others, but I do know the Loreal sulfate free lines often have silicone in the conditioners and stylers.
    Also, one bad hair day is not indicative of success. But if this is happening often, please let me know. PS feel free to modify CG to suit your needs, occasionally I use sulfate shampoo to clarify as well as use a comb and brush to detangle with.
  • SarahDouglassSarahDouglass Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I've been doing a modified version of CG for the whole month so far. Unhappy with that, I decided to take the plunge and try to not use shampoo for the first time last night. I plan on buying As I Am cowash and a few others as my budget allows for it. And I just looked at the ingredients for the "Sulfate Free" shampoo and found it has sulfate in it as the third ingredient, yay. But as far as I know, I've never had issues with silicones unless that's what causing frizz. I'm still figuring things out, but there's so much to learn and try and I don't have the budget for try and fail with a product.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You can't really go halfway with the CG method.  If you use silicones and no sulfates, the silicones will build up in your hair.  You really need the sulfates to remove the silicones.  That's why the CG method removes both ingredients.

I looked up the ingredients for your products. They all have silicones, with the exception of the gel (possibly - depending on which one you have).  A couple of them also have drying alcohol and polyquats.  If you want to continue using those products, I'd suggest using a sulfate shampoo with them, then replace them with CG products as you use them up.  But keep up with the shampoo until you get rid of all the silicones.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • SarahDouglassSarahDouglass Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I did more research on it, as well. Y'all are right. At least my "sulfate free" shampoo has sulfates in it for now since all my products suck, haha. I'll be more cautious next time, but this weekend I might be able to get the co-wash
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think that the L'Oreal Evercurl product has silicones in it. You will not want to use it for a final cleanse before starting the CG method again.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    How on earth can a product that labels itself "sulfate-free" HAVE A SULFATE IN IT??? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file