Chemical Skin Peel vs Laser Resurfacing...

LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I'm considering having a procedure to get rid of dark spots, fine lines, spider veins & even up my skin tone.  It is so confusing which one to get.  I've been doing a lot of googling, but it is making me even more confused.  I need to go to my plastic surgeon next month for a follow up, so I will talk to her plus I have a dermatologist I can consult with.  One of my concerns is that I will have it done & not notice any improvement.  At home I have been using Retin A, vitamin C serum, & a 2% BHA , salicylic acid exfoliant, but I'm not seeing any results. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this done & what the results were.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've not had that. But I know there are groups on FB discussing it fyi.

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'll have to check out the groups.  Thx, SL!
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    From what I understand, the reason you're not seeing the results you want is that the outer layer of the skin is very protective. It is very difficult to formulate products so that they can get to the deeper layers of the skin and create noticeable change. This is one reason why the SkinCeuticals vitamin C product is so well respected and so spendy--it supposedly has the ability to get to the deeper layers of the skin.

I would make an appointment for a consultation with an esthetician at a med spa. The consults are usually free. I would make sure it's a med spa, because they have other procedures they can do that can't be done at an ordinary spa.

I don't know anything about spider veins, but I do have uneven skin tone and did have a couple of micro peels done at a med spa. They basically scrape off the outer layer of skin and then put on a lactic acid solution to help even up the skin tone. I just had my second one a few weeks ago, and I do believe they make a difference. In my neck of the woods, these run about $100 plus tip.

For fine lines, you might consider microneedling. It sounds scary but is actually not too bad. The esthetician takes a small "pen" that has several tiny needles in the head of it and runs it all over your face, creating thousands of little punctures. The skin responds by producing a lot of collagen to heal the wounds. This helps fill in fine lines and surface scarring. I think that at least three sessions are needed to treat most problems. I've had microneedling done twice. I noticed an improvement the first time but not so much the second time. From what I've been reading, I think I might need another few sessions (I'm trying to get rid of acne scarring). The microneedling can be very expensive, so I would look online for a Groupon or ask about specials if you want to try this. In my neck of the woods, retail price on a microneedling session is about $300, but if you can get a Groupon or a special, you can get them for around $100.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I wouldn't trust a medspa.  
    From Michael Berg:

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Therese1 said:
    From what I understand, the reason you're not seeing the results you want is that the outer layer of the skin is very protective. It is very difficult to formulate products so that they can get to the deeper layers of the skin and create noticeable change. This is one reason why the SkinCeuticals vitamin C product is so well respected and so spendy--it supposedly has the ability to get to the deeper layers of the skin.

Interesting that you mention that. I'd never heard of this product or product line prior to this week! (I'm not a skin person at all!) But I was talking to my bff and she mentioned it to me and this huge craze over it. But she said there's a dupe called SeoulCeuticals Vitamin C that is quickly becoming just as popular, available on Amazon for $16. She said she actually likes SeoulCeuticals better. Not sure if yall know about this or if it's old news to you or what. IDK anything about this stuff; I'm just passing it along.

I don't have much in the way of wrinkles and lines and stuff like that yet; my issue is that my whole face is starting to sag from gravity. I guess I'd better start saving for a face lift. I don't think there are any products on Amazon I can buy for that!

I've been using the SkinCeutical C-serum.
    From Michael Berg:

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As far as microneedling. One day I was looking for something on amazon and ended up order one (i forgot the mm) but I haven't used it.

LOL
    From Michael Berg:

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know you are being careful Lotsa, so I won't urge that (although I want to :) but you might want to check out Hot and Flashy on Youtube.  She had several procedures done and she is very thorough about documenting what happens, whether it is painful, whether the results are worth it, etc.  I've had medium strength chemical peels and I was pleased with the results but my excellent derm retired and I'm scared to go elsewhere.  Meanwhile I'm using 20% Glycolix (available on Amazon).  I'm too afraid of lasers so I won't try that - if you are considering that make sure you ask about whether your skintype and skincolor are likely to get hypo or hyper pigmentation from it.  Also read up on real self (might be realself) and see what percentage of people are happy with the various procedures.  
    I also had work done on my legs for spider veins.  It didn't last.  These suckers come back!
    Good luck - keep us updated please.  
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Thx, Cp!  I will certainly check out the videos.  I have read a lot on Realself.  Do you think the 20% Glycolix is working?  
    From Michael Berg:

My daughter came by tonight & I told her I got another foundation & that I think I am liking this one best out of the 3 I have purchased.  I told her I put it on at 8 this morning, so I wasn't sure how good it was looking now.  She loved it.  She said it was the best she had ever seen me wear.  She then said that my skin looked very good.  Made me think that maybe my anti-aging products are working better then I thought.  I still would like to have some resurfacing.  Oh, in case anyone is interested the foundation is Cover Girl Vitalist Healthy Elixir.  It is great for older skin since it doesn't sink into the lines.
    From Michael Berg:

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @Josephine, I think it would be difficult to microneedle yourself at the depths that an esthetician can do it. The ones I've been to numb your face first so that they can get deep enough into the skin. It would be extremely painful to do this yourself.

I have read that the dermarollers can be helpful for puncturing the skin on a more superficial level that would aid penetration of products, though.

@Lotsawaves, I'm glad you can use the SkinCeuticals vit C. It's really a great product.

@spiderlashes5000, yes, there are a couple of dupes out there. There is also one called Timeless, I think. I think Angie from Hot and Flashy tested that one and found that it worked for her almost as well as the SkinCeuticals. I hadn't heard of the SeoulCeuticals. I don't use the SkinCeuticals products other than the sunscreen because they're too spendy for me. I use a vit C from ImageMD, which appears to be a good product but isn't so expensive.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thx, Cp!  I will certainly check out the videos.  I have read a lot on Realself.  Do you think the 20% Glycolix is working?  
    Hi Lotsa,  I think the Glycolix is working but sloooowwwwllly.  It's definitely not like the chem. peels I had which really made a difference.  I'm unhappy that my dr. retired, but scared to go elsewhere and some of these docs charge 3 times what he charged for the same thing.  What have you decided?
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    CP, I haven't decided yet.  I don't have the money to do either right now.  
    From Michael Berg:

• PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Lotsa!  I have had IPL (intense pulsed light) photofacial treatments and was pleased with the results.  I don't think it helps with wrinkles, but evens out skin tone and gets rid of dark spots and spider veins.  I bought a package of 6 treatments.  They recommend that you avoid sun exposure and using retinoids a few days before and after each treatment.

Thanks, Poochie! 
    From Michael Berg:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file