Really unhappy with my curl pattern at shoulder-length

DanniroDanniro Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've been following the curly girl method for 3.5 years and my hair is 2b I think. 2 summers in a row I used a lightening product to give myself highlights, although I didn't use it last summer, and so 2 weeks ago I decided to cut off about 8" of hair because it was very dry and damaged. Now my hair is pretty soft and healthy-looking, but I absolutely hate how it curls. I've always had a problem with having calics on each side of my head, I part my hair to one side so I almost always have an obvious small curl on the side that doesn't have enough hair to cover it. When my hair was longer, it tended to be straightish until my ears, then with loose curls and waves. I was okay with this because it looked sort of beachy and I like having long hair. Now that it's shorter length, my hair is straight until about an inch from the bottom, where is has a loose curl or wave. I get one perfect curl on the side I part, plus my calic sticks out from under my hair, and on the other side the typical calic. It looks awful to me and I'm about ready to ditch trying to encourage my curls. On days I don't wash my hair it's worse because the face-framing pieces end up frizzy and there's even less curl at the ends and it makes me look like I don't take care of my hair.

Routine: Garnier avocado cowash, accompanying conditioner, Dessange leave-in conditioner, Dessange curls mousse. On days I don't wash I scrunch water and mousse into my hair.

My profile picture is from about 3 years ago when my hair was shorter, you can see that I had some more curls, then I was using a similar routine but gel instead of mousse. But to be honest, even back then I didn't like my curl pattern because it didn't have a lot of body and I was still having calic issues.

Honestly I am just waiting for this to grow out. But it's kind of killing my self-esteem because I felt like my long hair was more elegant-looking and this hair makes me feel childish and unkempt
Btw my hair isn't greasy, the camera just accentuated the difference in color between the lightened part and my natural hair

Comments

• DanniroDanniro Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I should add that I've always had a problem with my top layer barely curling, right now my top layer appears to be almost straight
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There is a post a little bit farther down about Rainbow clipping. I wonder if by clipping your hair while it dries would help disguise the cowlicks as well as encouraging wave and curl formation. I only have one cowlick, and yeah, it can do weird things to my curl patterns. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with the rainbow clipping. You may have to do your whole head but its something. Also i would not give up on taking care of your hair or encouraging your curl, because you want this when your hair is finally long again and you want the curls to be healthy. It's just that some curl patterns take length to curl.
    You may try experimenting with texturizing sprays or sea salt sprays though they can be drying. Since your hair is straighter you might even be able to use wavy clip in extensions and blend them in well in the meantime. I am sorry you feel this way though.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair looks to be a little on the fine side; is that right? You might want to experiment with using a sulfate-free shampoo at least some of the time. Sometimes fine hair does better with shampooing than with co-washing. If your hair isn't weighed down, then the curl will come out better.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • DanniroDanniro Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 said:
    Your hair looks to be a little on the fine side; is that right? You might want to experiment with using a sulfate-free shampoo at least some of the time. Sometimes fine hair does better with shampooing than with co-washing. If your hair isn't weighed down, then the curl will come out better.
    Yes it's definitely fine. I haven't experimented with too many shampoos, but I really like this low-poo products because it's one of the only cleansers that doesn't make my hair look dry. It would have to be a really moisturizing shampoo, because usually even if shampoo and immediately rinse, let conditioner sit on it, and use leave-in, my hair still ends up looking dry. But there definitely could be product weighing it down.
    BrittanyM said:
    Agree with the rainbow clipping. You may have to do your whole head but its something. Also i would not give up on taking care of your hair or encouraging your curl, because you want this when your hair is finally long again and you want the curls to be healthy. It's just that some curl patterns take length to curl.
    You may try experimenting with texturizing sprays or sea salt sprays though they can be drying. Since your hair is straighter you might even be able to use wavy clip in extensions and blend them in well in the meantime. I am sorry you feel this way though.
    Thanks, I will look into rainbow clipping. I have an Aussie sea salt spray right now, it does give my hair some body and texture on days I don't wash, but it makes my hair feel pretty rough and the effects don't last the whole day. I'm sure I could find a better one though.

Keeyamah said:
    There is a post a little bit farther down about Rainbow clipping. I wonder if by clipping your hair while it dries would help disguise the cowlicks as well as encouraging wave and curl formation. I only have one cowlick, and yeah, it can do weird things to my curl patterns. 
    I will look up rainbow clipping, thanks. In the past I've pinned back the hair at each side of my face so it dries straight-ish, but this is hit-or-miss because sometimes it ends up looking frizzy and it often partially recurls during the day anyway. Although at the same time these pieces have the most body haha.

I'm living in France for the foreseeable future and they don't have the selection of hair products we do in the US. Should I try and seek out a gel product to use? I haven't seen many here but I'm sure there are some.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file