No Curl stylist where I live, what do I do?

KiashaKiasha Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I Live in South Africa, and there is no curl stylist for curly hair here. I;m not sure if cutting my hair will help with better curl clumps and definition. I started on this journey about 4 months ago but had a moment of weakness and blow dried my hair about a week ago.
Pleas ehelp!

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm in the US and far removed from curly stylists whom are few and far between. I'd start with taking really good care of your hair. Maybe even curly girl method. See how your hair is. You may even wish to cut your hair yourself and YouTube is a great source. There are many DIY Deva Cuts on there.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you read Lorraine Massey's book Curly Girl? She talks about proper care of curls, and I think she includes a section on how to cut your hair. Maybe that would be helpful?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 69Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I had same problem... I bought The Mane Choice scissors, and made my hubby watch tons of videos and read the chapter about hair cutting in the book. He cut it dry, curl by curl, and tried to create a little layer (we need to work on this though), but overall... I think he did a great job and am very happy with the results. My hair is 3b though, so quite forgiving... I think for someone with wavy, shorter, more structured hair style - it's best to find a professional.  Here is my hair before the cut with no products, and after with products.
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Malibu-C Un do goo
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, Curly Hair Solutions Pure Silk Protein Treatment, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition Original and One Condition Decadence
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original, Jessicurl Confident coils, Spiralicious, Deva B'leave in

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Wow, @CurlyLili, your husband did a great job!  
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    CurlyLili said:
    I had same problem... I bought The Mane Choice scissors, and made my hubby watch tons of videos and read the chapter about hair cutting in the book. He cut it dry, curl by curl, and tried to create a little layer (we need to work on this though), but overall... I think he did a great job and am very happy with the results. My hair is 3b though, so quite forgiving... I think for someone with wavy, shorter, more structured hair style - it's best to find a professional.  Here is my hair before the cut with no products, and after with products.
    Impressive! Maybe he should change careers!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file