Exact order of products?

michellessmichelless Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi all! I just made the switch to CG last Thursday, so about one week ago. I have purchased some products (I have VO5 kiwi lime squeeze conditioner, deva curl light defining gel, suave daily clarifying shampoo, shea moisture coconut hibiscus curl and shine shampoo, and SM fruit fusion coconut water hair masque).

The only problem is I'm not sure when I should use each product... I guess specifically:

1. How often should I be washing my hair? It doesn't get too greasy, but my curls lose their shape after I sleep on them (hair is too short to pineabble or anything like that).

2. How do I know if/when I should co-wash, use sulfate free shampoo, or clarifying shampoo?

3. How often should I deep condition? And can deep conditioner be used by itself, or should I only use it after shampoo?

For the past few days/week, I've been co-washing daily with VO5 followed by my deva curl gel. That's about all I've done so far, and I'm not sure when I should shampoo & deep condition, or how to tell when I need to.

I think my hair is 2c/3a (not 100% sure, see my picture) I have a bit of heat damage as well if that helps any. I know it's a lot of trial and error but I'm looking for some starting point suggestions and/or what has worked for you. Thanks!!😊

Answers

• KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I shampoo with a lo-poo (sulfate free, gentle cleansers, happens to be Jessicurl Gentle Lather) 3-4 days a week. I deep condition once a week, and clarify once every 2-3 weeks, or more often if I have build up. You will learn your hair, though it will take time. I clarify when I notice my waves aren't behaving themselves, but they are at a point right now where I desperately need at least a trim to help them along, but I have a hair appointment on Sunday to take care of that. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Use the Suave Clarifying shampoo once, then put it aside.  You might need it again, but not for a long time.  Follow that up with conditioning, and then the gel.  That's your first wash.

Next time, you'll cowash with the V05, rinse it out fully, then work more of the conditioner all through your lengths.  You can either partially rinse it out, or fully rinse and then add a tiny bit back in to act as a leave in.  Then the gel goes next.

Wash as often as you'd like.  Every day is fine if you need to.  I wash every other day, or 3 times a week.  Start by cowashing every time.  Give it at least a week of cowashing.  Your hair won't look good to start with (maybe it will...but most hair needs some time to adjust).  If you're completely fed up with it looking bad, use the sulfate-free shampoo once, then switch back to cowashing.  

Only use the Suave Shampoo when everything else has failed.  Most of us need to do that once in a while.  Maybe once a month or every other month.

I almost never deep condition, but my hair is pretty healthy right now.  You can do it once a week or every other week if you think you need to. 

Forgot to say - Welcome!  And let us know if you run into any problems!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file