Any suggestions on how to allow products to better penetrate hair.

Kristy113Kristy113 Posts: 11Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I bought the Jessie curl deep conditioning treatment and I had to use half the bottle and it doesn't seem to be penetrate the hair very well.my hair is very dry it didn't detangle it at all. Any suggestions I would appreciate.im at the point of just chopping it off if I can t fix it  

Best Answer

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,062 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Any sulfate shampoo without silicone should work. As far as scalp or whole head, your choice. When I figured out that's what was happening to me I did the whole head. Follow up with your deep conditioner and you should recognize that is smoothing on easier. As for me, product build up was causing such horrendous dryness that my hair was breaking off. It was a dark time.

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,062Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't low porosity hair but you need to add heat. Here are a few options.
    You can try a hot head (Microwavable thermal cap, about 30 dollars. Definitely worth it but of course it is a purchase so don't feel like you absolutely must buy it if you don't want to)
    Use a plastic cap. This can either be a processing cap or a plastic shopping bag.
    Use a steamer. If you dont have one and don't care to purchase one, you can use the steam from your shower with or without the plastic cap or use a boiling pot of water on the stove without the cap.
    You can use a cap or bag and heat with a dryer. A hooded dryer would be optimal but I don't know anyone who has that readily available.
    Ok so this one is a bit fuzzy and I can't remember who here does this, but I think someone puts on a plastic cap, microwaves a wet towel, wraps the warm towel over the cap and uses another cap to trap in the heat. I don't remember the details or who does this, but hopefully they will find this and reveal themselves. Haha.
    Best of luck!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,504Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    How long did you leave it on? When I use the JC DC, I first wash my hair and then squeeze out the excess water. I then work the conditioner through my hair. I put on a plastic cap and then wrap a towel around that and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. If your hair is really dry, you could let it sit for 60 minutes (my hair is prone to getting overmoisturized, so I generally don't go more than 30). Then I would rinse it out of your hair as usual and style as usual.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Kristy113Kristy113 Posts: 11Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I just left it on for over an hour and followed every thing you said plastic cap and everything and I couldn't run my fingers through it.can your hair be so dry it won't accept moisture at all.it seems healthy when dry accept its puffy and won't hold barely a wave.As soon as It gets wet it's a tangled mess that won't get any slip to detangle it. just keeps coming out at the end
    of the hair.I have a pile of hair after every shower. I'm sorry I don't know where to post this I'm new to the curly girl method and just really discouraged  
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,062Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Ok, so your dilemma is exactly the same as mine when I had product build up. Deep conditioner wouldnt work. Couldnt detangle, breakage. It was awful. If you havent already and think build up might be a cause, i strongly encourage you to use a sulfate clarifying shampoo and try again.
    BrittanyM-Do you have a suggestion for a clarifying shampoo or will any sulfate shampoo like Paul Mitchel work .Do I shampoo the whole head or just the scalp? And is that why I'm losing a hamster size hair ball every time I shampoo is product buildup causing breakage at the scalp 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,504Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Any sulfate shampoo should work as long as it doesn't have silicones. I'm not sure if the PM has silicones. I use the Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo, which is a pretty simple sulfate poo.

I would shampoo the whole head. Make sure you thoroughly wash the whole length of your hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Let us know, @Kristy113, if you try the sulfate shampoo, and how it works out. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Sorry for the late response I tried the sulfate shampoo it worked a little bit. But my hair was just flat not wanting to curl at all.I decided just to do a big chop and cut five inches off yesterday so now I have all virgin hair to work with. Now I'm starting from scratch  Not sure if I should do a protein treatment to enhance the waves as I haven't been using any protein 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 399Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @kristy113 did the hair cut make any difference? 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  JessiCurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    *currently trying BeautyCounter Smooth & Control Conditioner 
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCrul Heaven In Hair
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion & JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel  all over; JessiCurl Rockin Ringlets on select areas
    It feels much healthier and I'm not losing as much hair. But it's almost as if my hair lost wave definition especially at the top its just kinda flat and my waves are a little more stringy 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file