What did you do to your hair today? Week of Sept. 17

Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
Yesterday I used Malibu hard water shampoo, then Deva Deep Sea conditioner, plus Innersense I Create Volume and UDG.  My hair looks so bouncy curly and had a ton of volume!  I wish I could get it to look like that every day.

What's going on with your hair?
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Still making my way through my haul of Taliah Waajid samples. I'm using the oils as body oils since my hair doesn't like them. My hair seems to like most of the styling products, but the favorite is still the first one I tried, Curl Sealer, which has become one of my HG products at least in humid weather. 
    I'm still fighting spiderweb tangling, mostly caused by having my hair in a pony so often. Other than that, my hair has been happy in our hot humid summer. My hair tends to go flat and undefined in winter so I'm not looking forward to that. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've played with my bonnet dryer, clarified and DC on Saturday. I'm having some issues related to needing a cut, but I have an appointment scheduled for this upcoming Sunday. My hair is heavy enough its aggravating my headaches, so I am thinking of doing a big chop. We'll see, if I want to get away from pulling it back at work, it has to be shoulder length or shorter, right now, it's just about BSL...
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I went to TJ Max and well let's just say, purchases were made.
    First thing I tried is the Heritage Rosewater and glycerin spray. This is moisturzing for my face and does well in my hair too. I can use it as a face setting spray and a hair refresher.
    Second, I tried Shea Moisture Peace Rose shampoo. It matters! Loved it! Cleaning without stripping. Strongly fragrances too which is a plus for me but obnoxious for others.
    I tried a bit of the conditioner just to get the consistency. It's a bit thinner than I like so I might use it as a leave in. Probably would have enough slip if I used enough.
    Deep conditioned with another Shea Moisture Capacu or something for thick wavy hair. It smells like pistachio ice cream and has a light green lable. Here's where I went wrong. While both the deep conditioner and peace oil conditioner smell good individually, together they create a noxious smell and both scents linger. I have a headache from my hair smelling.
    I made another mistake by using a smidge of the remainder of my Shea Moisture anti breakage masque as a cream. I like the masque, it's the only one I've ever tried that I have to wash out completely or it creates a weird texture. Why did I think I could use it as a styler
    Final mistake is using a bit too much gel.  My hair is a not a fan of too much gel but would not have been that bad if it hadn't been for the other mistakes.
    So this week was a bit of a fail. My hair is down today but I can't wait until second or third day hair and hope the smell fades a bit. It's just kinda flat and stringy but hopefully will volume as the week goes on. Mistakes were made, lessons learned. Glad to see that everyone else is having a good hair week.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've been following the video routine someone posted on here somewhere (can't remember where) for wavy hair. It involved rainbow clipping the hair not just at the crown but down the sides, and then diffusing the clipped parts until maybe 80% dry, then removing the clips and diffusing upside down to finish. I've been getting good results, but they're not perfect because I really need a haircut. I scheduled one for a couple of weeks out. It looks like three months is going to be tops for me--any longer than that, and my hair just looks heavy and blocky.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM, I like scents too.  If they're good scents - bad ones that stick around are the worst!  I miss the smell of professional salon products.  They seem to stick around just the right amount - not too much and not too little.

@Therese1, I've been using that clipping routine too!  I was already doing the rainbow clipping, but I added in the way she clipped at the top.  I had to dig out the deva clips for that.  It adds a ton of volume up at the top! 
    Current products:
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited September 2018
    Super happy that I've made it to day 5 hair! This summer, because of heat and humidity, I've only been able to make it to day 3 before I desperately need a wash because of frizz and/or too much product. My hair is feeling a tad bit dry, but it doesn't look bad and I can still wear it down, which is a win in my book! I'm thinking and hoping I can make it through at least Friday, ideally Saturday before I wash. Really loving that I picked up the Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Butter Gel last week as I think that has made a huge difference on my refresh days as it tames my frizz but also gives me some moisture so the style lasts.

I think I'm going to try to make a move to using glycerin free products. I don't think my hair is loving those in this humidity and considering that I live in Central Florida (which is basically hot and humid 10 months out of the year) and I have high porosity hair, I think it's doing more harm than good. 
    Wow, @cnic216, 5 days is great!  I'm lucky to get 2 days.  
    Current products:
  • michellessmichelless Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    So I only started CGM last Thursday but so far I'm loving it! I've been co-washing every day, mostly with vO5 kiwi lime squeeze conditioner followed by deva curl light defining gel. So that's what I did today. My hair is pretty damaged from heat and coloring, so my curls don't quite function how I want them to. I've been practicing some heat-free styles though, and today I just wore a headband. My curls are feeling like they could use a wash, so tomorrow I plan to shampoo with the coconut hibiscus curl conditioner from shea mousture and deep condition with the fruit fusion hair masque. I'm still working on finding the right balance of products so if you have any suggestions I'm completely open!
    Arrgghhh!  Xtava had a recall on their dryers, so I applied for my replacement and it came in the mail yesterday.  Yay!  That was much faster than they said it would arrive.  So I tried it out this morning.  While I was diffusing, I fumbled and dropped the dryer on the floor.  Something inside it broke :'( Now it sounds weird when I turn it on, and there's a rattling when I shake it.  :'( :'(  I didn't even get to finish drying my hair once.  Good thing I still have my backup dryer.  It's pretty old, but it still works perfectly and the Orchid diffuser fits nicely.
    Current products:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Sorry that I laughed at your story @Guide 65, but it was kind of amusing. 
    I just use inexpensive pancake driers but I always keep a spare on hand in the event one wears out, I break it, or I leave it somewhere when I travel. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    @jeepcurlygurl, gotta have backups for my dryer!  I think I have 3 dryers kicking around the house somewhere.

I'm not even going to ask for a replacement.  It's too heavy, and I like my old one better.
    Current products:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Oh, @Guide 65! I'm so sorry. That's so irritating. I'm glad you had a backup and that the Orchid fits on it.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file