Protein products w/o Glycerin?

alinavictoriawalinavictoriaw Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
Wanted to finally commit to trying the DevaCurl line since my hair craves the protein right now, but then I see "Glycerin" as the top 3-4 product literally in almost👏🏻 every👏🏻  single👏🏻  product👏🏻  🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Was using Jason's Sea Kelp before starting CGM, noticed I had protein overload with it so when I started CGM I dumped  the protein completely. Well that sent me into over-hydration real quick so I know I need protein, but also that Glycerin right now is a major no no for me. 

Uncertain to what extent I should avoid glycerin currently. Like does it really matter that much with DevaCurl because of alllll the protein? So do I use the conditioners but cut it from stylers? OR do I avoid DevaCurl like the black plague? 

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Are you sure you need to avoid glycerin?  I know a lot of people think frizz is caused by glycerin, but there are so many other things that can cause it.  Avoiding it completely is going to make things hard.  But it's doable, if you really think you need to.

Personally, I'd go ahead and try the Deva Curl.  Buy it from Ulta if you can, so it can be returned if you don't like it.  You might want to try protein in some products and no protein in others so you don't get overloaded.  Deva One condition (original) has only hops extract, which is very low protein.  Deva Ultra Defining Gel has a pretty good amount of protein.  So get a shampoo or cowash with no protein, and a curl enhancer with no protein.  You could use As I Am cowash (no glycerin, no protein), and Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha for a curl enhancer (also no glycerin and no protein).  Then use the Deva One and UDG.  That should give you some protein, but not a lot.  If it's too much, drop the gel and keep using the conditioner.

If you really need a gel with no glycerin, you could try Giovanni LA Natural gel, or Jessicurl Spiralicious.  I don't think these have any protein either.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• alinavictoriawalinavictoriaw Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Are you sure you need to avoid glycerin?  I know a lot of people think frizz is caused by glycerin, but there are so many other things that can cause it.  Avoiding it completely is going to make things hard.  But it's doable, if you really think you need to.

Personally, I'd go ahead and try the Deva Curl.  Buy it from Ulta if you can, so it can be returned if you don't like it.  You might want to try protein in some products and no protein in others so you don't get overloaded.  Deva One condition (original) has only hops extract, which is very low protein.  Deva Ultra Defining Gel has a pretty good amount of protein.  So get a shampoo or cowash with no protein, and a curl enhancer with no protein.  You could use As I Am cowash (no glycerin, no protein), and Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha for a curl enhancer (also no glycerin and no protein).  Then use the Deva One and UDG.  That should give you some protein, but not a lot.  If it's too much, drop the gel and keep using the conditioner.

If you really need a gel with no glycerin, you could try Giovanni LA Natural gel, or Jessicurl Spiralicious.  I don't think these have any protein either.
    I'm actually not certain! I assumed this was the case for a few reasons. First is that Mop Top Curly Custard doesn't control my frizz at all, while Aussie Instant Freeze does really well. They both have a film forming humectants (if im remembering right) except Mop Top has Glycerin and Aussie Instant Freeze doesn't. The other thing that confused me is that typically my hair takes FOREVERRR to dry, it is fine, long and very dense so I just assumed I was low porosity. But I seem to over hydrate so easily  and it continues to do it so I do think that I have very porous ends because of damage and it just dries slower because I have a ton of hair. So as a committed curly girl method participant I take to the internet to learn about what products/ingredients to use and not to use. Deva Curl was the first place I went because I know they are heavy on the protein, but in their porosity blog post right at the bottom it states that High Porosity hair should avoid products high in Glycerin (which is what everyone seems to say) but they follow that up with suggesting products all of which have Glycerin (but like two) in the top 3-4 sot on the ingredients list. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Link---> https://www.devacurl.com/blog/guide-to-hair-porosity/

So I am just confused which route to take because the products I have been using are not working well (and have zero protein). And I keep seeing people talk about how Glycerin and how notorious it is but then most products have it so I just don't know what is more important for my hair right now. Do I cut Glycerin? Add more proteins? Does a combination of both lessen the effects of the other? Should I avoid DC and cowashing? 

On a side note I think the only reason WHY I was overloaded while using the Jason hair line is because 1) It has Silicones (maybe sulfates) and 2) I never, I mean in my entire life have done a DC treatment until 4 months ago 😂. But I do not think I am protein sensitive. 

I have been using the As I Am Co-wash  the last month and half, because I heard it's great and lightweight. But it sent me back into over-hydration just when I thought I was out of it 🤦🏻‍♀️. I really liked it too! And I still want to use it but I need some staples with lots of Protein to balance the moisture. 

Doing DC's right now is terrafying because I feel like I'll over hydrate my hair even more. So I have honestly been avoiding them like the black plague for the past 3 weeks. I did a second Gelatin Mask this week; I had done it once before and DC'd after but the results were not that great, still limp and over-hydrated. So this time I didn't DC just used regular conditioner (as was suggested for a stronger treatment) and haha that didn't turn out well either because my hair had a TON of friction. SO I had to wet my hair twice in the same day to DC because I was worried about breakage and it over-hydrated it slightly again, not as badly because the frizz is better but my hair still has no texture or shape, it's flat with a few wide waves. But at least it feels better and not quite as fragile. To be completely transparent I did use the Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Mask, because I'm still paranoid about over-hydrating but Im glad I did because had I used a protein free DC I think I would have definitely over-hydrated again.  I also went and picked up their reparative leave in too just to help for now until I can actually spend the money on better products. 

Sorry for giving you my full hair life story haha but I just want to say that I appreciate your input because I keep finding inconsistent opinions and if you think that DevaCurl mix of ingredients would be beneficial than I will definitely try it!

I do feel like I would have to use it for a couple washes to really see results, do you think they would still take it back if I did that? 

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Ulta will take products back even after they have been used, so don't worry about using it and not being able to return it.

About the protein...protein can also cause your hair to become overmoisturized, because the protein shores up the cuticle, and water can't evaporate at a normal rate. If you had bad results when going protein free, it might be that your hair needs some protein some of the time, just not all the time. I use protein in one product once a week, and that is what works for me. More than that, and my hair gets really stretchy when wet and takes a really long time to dry. 

The sea kelp in the Jason product might have done weird things to your hair. My hair gets kind of sticky with sea kelp. It feels a bit like protein overload, but I think it might be something different.

Glycerin is not usually a problem for people in rinse-out conditioners. It is more of an issue for products that stay in the hair, like leave-ins and stylers. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Mop Top Curling Custard doesn't have a lot of holding power, the AIF has more.  So that might be the issue, instead of glycerin/no glycerin.  As an experiment, you could try using the MTCC and then using the AIF on top.  That way you'd get the benefits of both. 

There's way too much misinformation about all this stuff - porosity and glycerin and protein.  You'd think Deva would know - but they just add to it! 

You don't have to do deep conditioning treatments.  I almost never do.  When I do - it's for a protein treatment (Deva Deep Sea - I get the protein and the conditioning benefit).  But you don't even have to do that.  If you get over hydrated from using no protein, then add protein back in.  But since you've had issues in the past, just use a little - don't go crazy with it.

You could get Neutral Protein Filler from Sallys and add a tiny bit to your conditioner once in a while.  It's quick and easy, and I find it to be pretty mild compared to the gelatin treatment.  You don't even need an extra step on wash day - I have a little bottle that I mix the conditioner and NPF in, and use that to condition my hair like normal.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • cnic216cnic216 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    You should also take your environment into consideration when cutting out glycerin. If you live in a dry environment and you have dry hair, the glycerin will dry your hair out even more. Also, if you live in a humid environment and have frizz prone hair, the glycerin might cause your hair to frizz. But, if you have low porosity hair, this might not make much of a difference since your hair cuticle will already be closed, so moisture won't be able to get in or out. This would be the opposite if you have high porosity hair. Glycerin is not your friend if you have high porosity hair and you live in either a very dry or very humid climate. 

If you want to continue looking for glycerin free products, Curl Junkie, Uncle Funky's Daughter, and Camille Rose Naturals have really great glycerin free products. I'm not sure if everything in their lines is glycerin free, but I know that a good majority of them are. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file