Product suggestions for 3a fine, thin, low porous hair

joeybearjoeybear Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I've been sulphate free for a couple of years now but still haven't found a set of products that work great for my hair. Sometimes I can get some crown volume after styling but that only last for a day at the most, other times the volume drops out straight away and the top of my hair becomes very flat. sometimes bits go frizzy, sometimes it all goes frizzy. Some bits, usually at the sides and underneath, like to drop completely and go almost straight with just one curl right at the end. 

So I'm hoping that some of you lovely lot can suggest some new products to me that might better suit my hair. 

I've used a mix of devacurl, shea moisture, trepadora and a few other products so far. I've found co-washing in the past left my scalp itchy so went back to shampooing. I prefer shampoos with a bit of a foam to them, otherwise I just feel like I've not washed it. I usually use either a gel or a mousse to style and find the gel gives a stronger, longer lasting hold but results in more knots, while the mousse gives a more natural look to the curls but only lasts one day. 

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  You might benefit from a protein treatment.  It gives strength to the hair so the curls will hold all day.  You can either buy a protein deep treatment like Deva Deep Sea Repair or Curl Junkie Repair Me, or you can do a DIY protein treatment with gelatin or a rice water rinse.  Just google for recipes.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • ClickChloeClickChloe Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hey! I always use Cantu Define and shine custard. I think it gives really nice hold even sometimes at the roots. You can also try root clipping which is really great for volume at the roots too! There's loads of videos on Youtube about them!

• OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I second the recommendation for root clipping.  I use the "O clipping" method demonstrated by Brianne I think is her name...search NC for the link to her YouTube video...my best success is using this method with miniature crocodile claw clips.  Mine are from Imara.  My hair is very thin on top but these clips keep a strong grip and don't slide.  I've even slept with a few clipped on crown inside my silk sleep bonnet.  That worked well.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Thanks for the DIY recipe. Has anyone tried making it with Hydrolized Collagen powder rather than gelatin powder? Would the smaller molecules penetrate the hair shaft better and stay in longer? I've been thinking about trying the HCP as a health drink but wonder if it could work for hair treatments as well?
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

You should give it a try.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  If you're hesitant, you can do a strand test before putting it on all over.
    Current products:
    Guide 65 said:
    You should give it a try.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  If you're hesitant, you can do a strand test before putting it on all over.
    I'm going to try it!  Just as soon as I have a reason to go to the health food store.

I'll post on the results.

• MamaofacurlyMamaofacurly Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I'm not trying to interface with this listing  but can someone plz tell me how to post my own question in the forum? I'm at a loss over here.
    edited November 2018
    I just saw your other post, so I guess you figured it out!  In case anyone else is wondering too, there's a "New Discussion" button up at the top right.
    Current products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file