Considering doing a keratin smoothing treatment

AyesarAyesar Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Novice
I am looking for advice and experiences with the keratin smoothing treatment. I have 3b extremely coarse and inmanageable hair. It looks like wire, feels like wire, has lack of shine, and I pull it back every day. It is frizzy all the time and looks horrible. My kids tell me that my hair is horrible and that I should cut it short to get rid of it lol. 

I dont use use shampoo on my hair often, I condition with moisturizer conditioners and deep conditioners, and use a masque once in a while. I don’t do everything I’m supposed to for curly hair but I have in the past and it doesn’t make much difference for me. 

I am starying a nee new job in a few weeks and it will require me to look very professional. I am nervous about going in with my hair pulled back everyday with an aura frizz around my head. I am considering doing this keratin smoothing treatment but am not sure it’s a good idea. I don’t want to do anything that is very damaging to my hair. Can anyone please let me know what your experience was if you have ever done it?

Comments

• morningstarmorningstar Posts: 144Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair type sounds very similar to mine. Any process that involves heat is going to damage the hair. I've had some great luck with keratin treatments and also some very damaging ones. I feel it is more the technique of the hair stylist than the product though. Too much high heat or too many passes with the straightener can cause the damage. I would suggest you try an express keratin blowout. Its not the major commitment and will wash out a lot sooner if you are unhappy. I have a feeling you will like the ease of styling it should provide, especially for your new job. The stylist will also use larger sections of hair when applying and then straightening, so I think this cuts down on some damage too. If you do end up liking it, you can always go for the full treatment the next time or this may just be enough to eliminate the frizz for you. 
    3B dark brown shoulder length
    Co-wash, Living Proof No frizz, Biolage Gel, Giovanni vitapro fusion leave in
  • AyesarAyesar Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks for your reply. The hair stylist said they use the Pravana keratin treatment, which is one of the most natural and mild treatments not designed to give you straight hair but just relax the curl and get rid of frizz. One of my concerns was actually the fact that it only lasts for 2 months. The treatment itself costs up to $200 so it’s a lot for a very temporary treatment.

I am not sure if I should attempt this type of treatment myself at home. I just need something to help my hair relax and get rid of some frizz. I don’t want to go straight. I like my curls but honestly I keep buying products and trying different things, and absolutely nothing has any effect on my hair.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Ayesar said:
    Thanks for your reply. The hair stylist said they use the Pravana keratin treatment, which is one of the most natural and mild treatments not designed to give you straight hair but just relax the curl and get rid of frizz. One of my concerns was actually the fact that it only lasts for 2 months. The treatment itself costs up to $200 so it’s a lot for a very temporary treatment.

I am not sure if I should attempt this type of treatment myself at home. I just need something to help my hair relax and get rid of some frizz. I don’t want to go straight. I like my curls but honestly I keep buying products and trying different things, and absolutely nothing has any effect on my hair.
    It may be that it's not so much about the products, but about the technique.  For half the cost and a more permanent solution, you could sign up for the MAP course from Scott Musgrave.  His teaching is all about techniques, and isn't product-driven.  People come into his facebook group and post before pictures, then more as they continue learning.  There are some amazing transformations.  This was the best money I've spent on my hair. 

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file