Endometriosis treatment affecting hair texture?

hmr1016hmr1016 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hello! I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis and will be put on a medication that temporarily puts my body in a menopausal state by stopping estrogen production after I have a laparoscopy. I asked my doctor about the side effects of the medication, and he listed hot flashes, insomnia, irritability, etc. I was wondering if anyone else here has gone through this course of treatment and if they noticed any changes in their hair. I just want to know what other people's experiences are so I'm not surprised by anything and can adapt my hair care routine. Thank you!
Current 2B/2C Routine:
Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,844 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I've never had endometriosis or the treatment for it, but I have gone through menopause.  I have noticed hair thinning - but in weird places.  I don't think the hair on my head has changed (aside from more grays) - maybe just slightly thinner, but not much.  But the hair on my legs is much thinner, my underarms only have 5 or 6 hairs each.  My eyebrows are starting to disappear.  But the umm...."lady garden", just as thick and lush as ever!  I could grow almost a full mustache if I wanted to.  So yeah....thanks menopause.  The parts I want to be hairless are growing more than ever, the parts I either want to keep or are easy to shave are thinning and disappearing. 

Of course you're on the treatment temporarily, so you may not notice all these changes.  They don't happen all at once - it's a very gradual change.  But I hope it goes well for you and you get some relief!

Also - hair growth is much slower.  But only in the areas where I want growth.  Where I don't want growth, it grows like a jungle.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,102Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I haven't had the treatment nor do I have endometriosis. I do want to say that I am sorry that you are going through this, but I am glad that you are getting some treatment and have a diagnosis. Menopause sometimes causes hair to thin, not necessarily bald, but thin out. Any time you mess with hormones it can cause hair to thin or thicken. I hope your treatment goes well and you get some relief!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file