Over 8 months with the CG Method but deep conditioning does not make it any better

AnekillaAnekilla Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
The thing that I read the most in this world of curlies is "deep condition, deep condition, deep condition at least once a week!!!!".

Well, I tried that once a week but I decided to stop as everytime I do it part of my upper layers won't curl after :(.
I have tried a few products being the last one the SM black castor oil deep conditioner, wich has some proteins and I know now my hair loves them. I usually leave it in for up to 30 minutes but it doesn't matter how long, my curls always get ruined and I feel like I am starting over and over again...

My question here is, am I using the wrong product? Why all the masks I try leave my hair limp and losing its pattern?

I would love to know what I am doing wrong!!!
Thanks!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Is your hair fine? If it is fine, it might not need deep conditioning; you might be overmoisturizing your hair, which leads to limp hair that won't hold a curl well.

I deep condition only in the winter, which is extremely dry in my region. I have very fine hair.

It's also possible that your hair doesn't like that particular product. It might be too heavy for you, or your hair might not like the shea butter in it. If your hair is coarse and tends to be very dry, then it's likely that you do indeed need deep conditioning but this product is not the right one.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • AnekillaAnekilla Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I wouldn't say my hair is fine, it is definately not coarse... but yes... I guess I will have to stop deep conditioning then.
    All my life I felt that using too much conditioner or deep condition treatments would leave my hair looking so limp...
    Thanks for your reply.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with @Therese1.  I almost never deep condition.  If your hair is very dry and thirsty, it's probably a good idea.  My hair is already prone to over-moisturizing, I don't need to add even more.

If you want to experiment, try doing the DC treatment but using your every day conditioner.  See if it's the product or the amount of time it's left in.  If your hair does ok with that, then you could try a different deep conditioner and see if your hair does better.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • AnekillaAnekilla Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks @Guide 65 sounds good... I started to DC only when I started to follow the CG method. Maybe that is why is taking a bit long to see any good improvement as I never used perms in my hair.

I have an offtopic question... How do you put the products you use and type of hair as a signature whenever you reply comments? :)
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    In the upper right side of the page, click on your user name and choose edit my account.  There should be a place to add a signature, and that's where you put all that info.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file