Tips on Getting Motivated

JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Does anyone else have a lot of trouble getting things started? I've been needing to work on some tasks for a long time but I keep putting them off and I am not sure why. Currently for work, I am moving slower than I'd like because I keep putting things off. I know I have to just do it but anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Making a list of projects I need to get done & checking them off once I've finished helps me.  I haven't done this in the last couple of weeks, becuz I've been so busy taking care of my daughter & I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.  You have motivated me to make my list.  
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with Lotsa, making lists is good. I take much satisfaction from ticking things off when they're done. I'm such a procrastinator, it is hard to get going in the first place. I've got a busy month ahead and said to my sister last week that I was going to make a list and a sort of timetable for myself - still haven't done it.....
    3b in South Australia.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Another list maker here. It's the only way I can get a large number of tasks done. And I learned long ago to do one thing at a time. I get much more accomplished that way. And then I can enjoy crossing things off the list. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I make lists but still procrastinate...terribly. 

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I make lists but still procrastinate...terribly. 
    Yea same here. If crossing off items was enough motivation that would be great! Sometimes I feel like I'm locked and I just can't start. And when I do I really can't stay focused.

I also have at least a mild case of adhd and have tried taking medication. But I think it was the wrong type and it kept me up all night. I didn't notice much of a difference the first few days I took it but I know it can take a while. My doctor was horrible so I haven't gone back. I'm going to try gingko biloba supplements.  
    Josephine, my grandson also has adhd.  So hard for him to stay focused & finish things unless he is gaming.  
    Thanks for posting this topic.  It got me to make my list & I am starting to accomplish things.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Glad it helped Lotsa! Does your grandson take any medication? Mine is not so bad or else I wouldn't have been able to graduate college, keep a job, etc. But it's bad enough where I can't seem to move forward or master anything.
    Glad it helped Lotsa! Does your grandson take any medication? Mine is not so bad or else I wouldn't have been able to graduate college, keep a job, etc. But it's bad enough where I can't seem to move forward or master anything.
    My grandson did the round of meds when he was younger, but they didn't really help.  Some made him so groggy he couldn't function.  It isn't as bad now as it was when he was younger.  He would play too rough & hurt other children.  He would distract other kids in the classroom.  It was such a struggle getting him to stay focused enough to finish his homework.  He also had a very difficult time sleeping at night.  He would be afraid to be alone in a room.  He would even take his little sister to the bathroom with him. When he was old enough to express what he was feeling, he said he knew his brain was different & that sometimes there would be sparks in his head & it would be hard for him to concentrate on anything else.  My daughter & I both felt if he had a dog it would help him.  He really wanted one & his bed was covered with stuffed dogs.  His dad was allergic & wouldn't get him one.  He has one now & they are so bonded.   He is so gifted.  Advanced classes in school.  Honor roll student.  Keeps up with current events.  Loves to argue politics with me.  LOL!  Plays the keyboard, drums, & trumpet.  He has a heart of gold.  I am pretty positive his dad had adhd.  
    From Michael Berg:

• GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,905Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For me having a teammate is always the best when possible.  When someone else is also "on the hook" and we rely on each other to get something done or be somewhere, I'm much more apt to not let it slip priority.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    GuardianB said:
    For me having a teammate is always the best when possible.  When someone else is also "on the hook" and we rely on each other to get something done or be somewhere, I'm much more apt to not let it slip priority.
    Great tip. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I finally got my 2017 taxes done and it is such a relief!! OMG. Plz help me to never put myself in that predicament again (I promise every year i won't but, sure enough, I do.) Oh, the stress!

I also agree with the teammate being helpful, but there are some things we have to do alone.  SL, congrats on getting that done.  Remember how good it feels.  That can be some motivation.
    From Michael Berg:

Yea the teammate thing is great but can't do that for most things. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file