How to use a bobby pin?

CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Posts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
I hope this one doesn't get voted: "the stupidest-ever post on Curl Talk".  I cannot seem to get the hang of using bobby pins and am hoping that there might be some sage advice available here.  I've even searched YouTube (which has a video for EVERYTHING) and have not found one.  It seems like the entire rest of the world can use a bobby pin without issue.  

I open the pin with my fingers.  Then, I go to insert the pin into my hair.  That results in the bobby pin getting too much hair, spronging open, and become bizarre in shape (stretched out) and unusable.  I then try to open the pin less.  When I insert it in to my hair, it attaches itself to some hair but doesn't attach that hair to my head.  By this I mean that I just have some random bobby pin stuck in my hair but it is serving no function.  Frequently I end up with a lot of these in there.  I lose them.  They stab me in the head.  Etc. 

On videos of hair styling (all of which take for granted the viewers ability to insert a bobby pin), the host will say things like, "rotate the pin 180 degrees when you insert it to achieve stronger hold".  When I attempt that, I get a big tangle. 

And on and on.  Is there a trick to this?  Are there some hair types that do not do well with bobby pins?  If so, what are the alternatives? 

I have course, thick, 3A/3C, low porosity hair.  Help!    

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    LOL. Love your post!
    Maybe you should switch to duckbill clips. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You are absolutely not alone!  I  have the exact same problems as you.  It seems like it should be such a simple thing...but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.  Obviously I have no help for you, but I'll be watching this thread so I can learn too!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Posts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Finding out that I am not alone empowered me to do some more research!  Thank you.  When one just feels "dumb" or "stupid", it's hard to move forward...

It turns out that there are a few important factors with Bobby Pins:

1. Quality - quality is very important.  I bought a giant, plastic tub of 2" bobby pins on Amazon, and it turns out that they are very poor quality.  If they "sprong" apart when you try to use them in your hair, this is a sign of poor quality.  The metal should be strong enough that even a strong force does not misshape them.  Internet research points to a brand called Metagrip as a good one. 

2.  Size - I have a great bulk of hair.  I may need longer than a 2" pin. 

3.  Technique -- it turns out that the side with the wavy ridges goes against the scalp!  I did not know that.  I've been putting them in upside down (flat side against my scalp). 

4.  180-degree finesse - apparently to get the best hold and to best hide the pin, you first insert the pin only half way with the flat side against your scalp (opposite to #3 above).  However, you then rotate the pin a full 180 degrees so that the wavy side now is towards the scalp.  Then, push the pin in all the way.  That's supposed to make for the best hold. 

I found this YouTube video (but I found it through Google.  I didn't come up when I searched inside of YouTube) by Milabu

It's great!      

#3 - wow, I had no idea!  I always assumed the flat side went against the head.
    #4 - Once again, I had no idea!  I thought them meant to turn the open end 180 degrees so it was heading in the opposite direction.  No wonder it would get tangled up in my hair!

Thanks so much for the research!  I'll be watching that video when I have few minutes to spare.
    Current products:
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Or...you may want to try Amish pins. They're long, u-shaped pins that may or may not be smooth (2 different kinds). I get mine from Amazon. While I do not have thick hair, I have an astronomical poof factor that has the ability to spit out any and all bobby pins that are not 100% completely secured. I've had the best results from the Amish ones. I stick them in and then turn them in the opposite direction to secure.
    Ooh!  Thanks, @BeinDeb.  That is a very helpful suggestion.  I just looked it up on Amazon.  
    Well I tried some of these tips and it still didn't work.  When I flipped it 180 degrees, it just twisted the legs around and pulled my hair.  I'll have to actually spend a few minutes watching that video and see what I'm doing wrong.
    Current products:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Very informative video. 

I've heard about inserting bobby pins with the angled side next to the scalp, but I find that the angled end digs into my scalp and is painful. So I wear them with the angled side out.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    @Guide 65 - I think it's the quality of your bobby pin.  I offer that, because the same thing happened to me!  I did the 180 finesse, the legs of the bobby pin spronged open during the rotation, and I ended up with a big tangle in my hair (like usual!).  However, since then my Metagrip brand bobby pins have arrived.  (I ordered off of Amazon).  I got a completely different result with the Metagrips!  Nice rotation, the pin stayed intact, hair held for hours!

One other thing -- the quality of the bobby pins in the original batch (I had purchased a 500 pin plastic container off of Amazon.  Just some generic brand) vary greatly!  I was trying to determine if I could come up with an alternate use for them, instead of chucking them in the trash (lock picks?  safe cracking?).  When I pull the two legs apart, some of them fail immediately (open up and do not go back to their original shape).  However, many others in the same batch hold their shape just fine.  I offer that info to others.  You may not need to cull all of your bobby pins.  Some may be fine.  

@Therese1 - if you're able to get hold with the flat side against your head, that's awesome!  I agree that it's less painful.  :smile:  For me, if the flat side goes against my head, they don't hold anything.  :(  
    I watched the whole video last night and found out I was still doing 180 turn wrong.  I'll try again one of these days.  The problem might the be the quality of the bobby pins - all I have are what was used the last time I had a professional updo - I think it was my wedding.  So I don't really know what kind they are. 
    Current products:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Well I just spent 10 minutes watching a video about bobby pins and I rarely use bobby pins! haha. I have always known the correct way to use them, though (as far as which side is up).  I have 2 heavy duty decorative bobby pins (1 with a skull and 1 with a flower) and they are so strong they are hard to even get in my hair and the decorations are on the wrong side (like in the video) and it bugs me no end. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file