New to curly hair and completely lost!

Janet34Janet34 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi! I am transgender and for the first time in my life I have grown my hair out longer than an inch and last month I discovered its curly! Only thing is I have NO clue how to deal with this, like AT ALL. Im planning on growing it out much longer in the future and I was hoping for some basic pointers on how to at least manage it, or if possible make it even better! I think I may be in the wavy category, but its not quite long enough at this point to have a clear picture yet.<br><br>https://i.imgur.com/724DI9d.jpg<br>;

Comments

• beantreesbeantrees Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome!  Glad to have you here.  Your hair looks great!  It looks to me like it will be curly, as I think at that length, most wavies won't have much of a wave yet.  But who knows...you'll get to discover it as it gets longer. 

For now, I would look into the Curly Girl Method by Lorraine Massey.  Basically don't use products with silicones in them (there is a list here), and don't use shampoo with sulfates except once in a while to clarify your hair.  You might want to try using a shampoo with sulfates (but no silicones) to get rid of any silicone buildup you may already have, and then avoid silicones from there.  Lots of people like using a lighter, cheap-ish conditioner to wash their hair, and then conditioning afterward with a heavier one.  Stay away from heat tools except a diffuser on low heat.  This will keep your hair healthy as you grow it.

There's a lot of info on this website and people are helpful in the forum.  Good luck!
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• Janet34Janet34 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I've got a lot to learn! My previous experience with hair for the last 33 years has been buzz cuts and suave shampoo. Im pretty much starting at square one.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  You're not alone - I had one way of doing my hair, and I did it that way, every single day, for over 20 years.  When I decided to try going curly, I felt like everything was new and I had no idea what I was doing.  I still feel like that sometimes!

Lorraine Massey has a book called the Curly Girl Method.  It's a great place to start, and I've heard if you have Amazon Prime you can download the ebook for free. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyLoganBrittanyLogan Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hi, I'm new too! nice to meet you!
  • BhollowaBhollowa Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hi I'm new here too! Nice to meet you. I am growing out my hair from a pixie cut and have mostly no hair knowledge so I feel the same . 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file