How do I know my true hair type and should I do a chop?

NewphonewhodisNewphonewhodis Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
I recently been confused and concerned about my hair and whether or not , I should cut my hair? I’ve been straightening and blow drying my hair for maybe 11 or more or less years I’ve noticed, I don’t know if it’s more damaging my hair, but the salon lady said it’s good for my hair and it’s supposed to be like that... but then here comes the other question... I’ve been believing my hair is actually naturally straight but saw an old photo of me when I was younger and noticed little small spiral curls and I’m now confused. But the main thing I’m concerned about is if my hair is actually damaged and I should do a big chop? 🤔

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome!  You won't know your true hair type until you stop straightening and start treating it as curly hair, and then you'll have to wait until you can see how your fresh undamaged hair curls. 

Whether or not you want to do a big chop is up to you.  If you like your hair the way it is, there's no reason to cut it all off.  If you want to start wearing your hair curly, you'll have to see how damaged your current hair is, and if there's any way to bring the curls back.  If you can't get them back and you want curly hair, then a big chop is one way to go.  But it's not the only way.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• AlexasCastiiloAlexasCastiilo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Hii! I say YES, definitely do a big chop. Im Dominican and in my ethnicity, its a very beautiful thing to have long, straight hair. So my entire childhood my hair was straightened, even though it was very obvious my hair was very curly. So I can relate to the hair salon for years. Also, that lady is not educated or lying straight through her teeth lol. Going to the salon to get it straighened is never beneficial. At this point, you say your hair is completely straight, so it is probably very damaged. Recently I had the courage to ignore the shame I got for my curly hair and chopped off all my heat damage, and it was the best thing ive ever done! So i encourage you to big chop at all lengths. Your hair will thank you for it. After you chop youll prolly only be shopping for curly hair/ coily hair products, so choose wisely. After a couple months youll see a huge change in your hair texture, considering your hair was a tightly curled pattern.

• NewphonewhodisNewphonewhodis Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    Hii! I say YES, definitely do a big chop. Im Dominican and in my ethnicity, its a very beautiful thing to have long, straight hair. So my entire childhood my hair was straightened, even though it was very obvious my hair was very curly. So I can relate to the hair salon for years. Also, that lady is not educated or lying straight through her teeth lol. Going to the salon to get it straighened is never beneficial. At this point, you say your hair is completely straight, so it is probably very damaged. Recently I had the courage to ignore the shame I got for my curly hair and chopped off all my heat damage, and it was the best thing ive ever done! So i encourage you to big chop at all lengths. Your hair will thank you for it. After you chop youll prolly only be shopping for curly hair/ coily hair products, so choose wisely. After a couple months youll see a huge change in your hair texture, considering your hair was a tightly curled pattern.

Yes I’m Dominican as well!! Then I thought about it and realized straight hair is actually a rare hair type to be born with , and if your Hispanic, your most likely to get curly hair! Thank you for the advice!! 
  • NewphonewhodisNewphonewhodis Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome!  You won't know your true hair type until you stop straightening and start treating it as curly hair, and then you'll have to wait until you can see how your fresh undamaged hair curls. 

Whether or not you want to do a big chop is up to you.  If you like your hair the way it is, there's no reason to cut it all off.  If you want to start wearing your hair curly, you'll have to see how damaged your current hair is, and if there's any way to bring the curls back.  If you can't get them back and you want curly hair, then a big chop is one way to go.  But it's not the only way.
    How do I try to to treat it like curly hair? I started using the Cantu shampoo and conditioner but that only made some parts barely wavy, and a few a lot more wavy. But how do I tell if my hair is damaged? Is there a method to see if hair is damaged? And thank you for the advice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file