Hair Breaking Badly, Shea Butter, Glycerine or Protein Issue? Product help.

MareeQiBeeMareeQiBee Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited September 2018 in Hair Type 3

Hello, This is my first post, but I've been a long time reader of Naturally Curly and lurker of Curltalk.

I have 3b - 3c-ish curls with what I believe is high porosity hair. I have some fine to medium coarse hair. I haven't dyed or chemically treated my hair in years. I'm just letting my silver hair grow in. 

The LOC method has worked well for me in the past. I live in the Pacific NW so it is rainy/humid for 8 months out of the year. But in the summers, I seem to always have some hair breakage when it gets hot and dry. I am pretty sure it's from moisture loss, but I don't know if I need protein or if I have too much of it in my daily products. I think that my hair does well in the Fall, Winter and Spring (though admittedly it's still on the dry side), but in Summer it breaks off and I never seem to get length.

My understanding is that you don't want glycerin in dry weather or it will strip your hair of moisture. Ugh! I think this may be what is causing my hair breakage this time. I went to the beach (60 % humidity) and used Cantu Curl Activator in my LOC method and I had the best curls! It looked healthy and wonderful. Then, I came home from the beach and continued using it not remembering the glycerin—and now my hair is breaking all over the place! *facepalm* It's so hard to keep all the products straight. What's working when and what's not.  

Now I need to do some damage control and I recently read that shea butter and coconut oil isn't good for your hair—that it can prevent moisture from getting in? I would think if you have moisture, then they would just seal it in, right?  But I think I have high porosity hair according to the online information and quiz I took.  I'm kind of at a loss for what products I should be using now to save my hair.

My usual routine Fall/Winter/Spring before this breakage (it seemed to be working, no breakage though leaning dry, all products have shea butter.):

POO: Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo

DC: SM Manuka Honey Mafura oil Masque (I use this every time I wash, but didn't use it the last few weeks because I was out, this may be contributing to my breakage as well)

LEAVE-IN: Usually alternate between SM Curl & Style Milk and SM JBCO. (I started using the Cantu Curl Activator last Fall and Winter and it was wonderful for rainy season!)

SEAL: Jojoba oil, SM Curling Smoothie

My routine just before and during breakage (that I believe contributed to breakage):

Shea Moisture Detox and Refresh Gentle Shampoo and Conditioner. (Since I ran out of my DC I borrowed my husband's poo and condit. to try out. Cleaned well, but no protein. Shea butter high on the list. Did this contribute to breakage?)

DC: I didn't DC for the last 2-3 weeks! (omitting this probably didn't help!)

LEAVE-IN  Cantu Curl Activator (it's been hot and dry the last few weeks. High glycerin attack probably caused breakage.)

Seal: SM Curling Smoothie

So I think this last routine did me no favors!

I decided to buy the SM High Porosity Masque and hoping it will help me. I did a deep conditioning with it twice this week. Does anyone have an opinion on this line? I'm thinking of trying the High Porosity Co-Wash. Though I've never converted to COWashing as I liked the SM JBCO poo. 

I also purchased the Camile Rose Curl Maker hoping to get some moisture in my hair since it has a lot of aloe juice in it, but it also has coconut oil! I have had good luck with coconut oil in the past, but didn't use it this time due to what I read. I don't want to create a bigger issue. I did an olive oil mask overnight last night instead. 

I'm still having some breakage! How long does it take before one sees breakage stop? Wondering if the SM High Porosity Masque will help or hurt?

I am hoping to get some input on products that will halt breakage. It's pretty bad, I'm seeing 1-3 inch pieces snapping off. All over my bathroom floor. *crying*  I don't want to cut off my hair. I do trims every other month and I really want hair growth. I'm hoping there is something I can do to strengthen what I have to keep my hair length. But the ends have thinned a lot! :(

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

Pictures show my hair after shampooing with Dr Bronner's Castille Soap Peppermint, SM High Porosity Masque, Camille Rose Curl Maker.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hmm, your weather is very different from mine! I live in the Midwest, so I'm guessing my winter (cold but extremely dry) is probably the best comparison for your hot, dry summers. I don't have any clear answers for you, but I have noticed that in our dry winters, I need less protein. Protein can have a drying effect on the hair. When you do use protein, you might want to consider silk protein, which has more of a moisturizing effect than other proteins (at least in my experience).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the coconut oil or the shea butter if they have seemed fine for your hair so far. Coconut oil is supposed to penetrate the hair shaft very well, and that would be helpful if you have high-porosity hair. It helps waterproof the hair, so that the inner part of the hair doesn't swell from overabsorption of water, which creates breakage.

I am a little concerned about the Dr Bronner's soap. Generally soap is too alkaline for hair; it is so alkaline that it can damage the hair. Extremely acidic solutions (like apple cider vinegar that has not been diluted properly) can cause damage also. Would you consider switching to shampoo?

Have you ever read the Science-y Hair Blog? You might find some helpful information there.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!

The humidity percentage doesn't matter - what matters is the dew point.  But the PNW never gets dry like the desert, and it doesn't get muggy/humid like the southern states.  I wouldn't worry too much about the glycerin.  It tends to cause frizz, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

Some people's hair is reactive to coconut oil, but some people's hair loves it.  If you're doing ok with it, don't worry about that either.  Shea butter is another that some people love, and some people don't. It can build up on the hair and prevent moisture from entering the hair shaft.  Which I guess is the same for coconut oil, if you don't remove it occasionally.  It'll seal in the moisture, but it also seals it out and prevents your hair from absorbing any water.

I would suggest starting with a good, strong clarifying shampoo - something with sulfates but no silicones.  I agree with @Therese1 about the Dr. Bronners.  Stick with products made specifically for hair.  Then after clarifying, try some products that are not heavy with shea butter. Do you ever cowash?  It might be good to switch to that for a little bit.  Tresemme Botanique is inexpensive and makes a good cowash and conditioner.  Giovanni has some nice conditioners, and it's not too expensive.  Or you could switch to some more expensive products - Deva Curl (has lots of protein) or Jessicurl (I think most are no protein).

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • MareeQiBeeMareeQiBee Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 said:
    Hmm, your weather is very different from mine! I live in the Midwest, so I'm guessing my winter (cold but extremely dry) is probably the best comparison for your hot, dry summers. I don't have any clear answers for you, but I have noticed that in our dry winters, I need less protein. Protein can have a drying effect on the hair. When you do use protein, you might want to consider silk protein, which has more of a moisturizing effect than other proteins (at least in my experience).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the coconut oil or the shea butter if they have seemed fine for your hair so far. Coconut oil is supposed to penetrate the hair shaft very well, and that would be helpful if you have high-porosity hair. It helps waterproof the hair, so that the inner part of the hair doesn't swell from overabsorption of water, which creates breakage.

I am a little concerned about the Dr Bronner's soap. Generally soap is too alkaline for hair; it is so alkaline that it can damage the hair. Extremely acidic solutions (like apple cider vinegar that has not been diluted properly) can cause damage also. Would you consider switching to shampoo?

Have you ever read the Science-y Hair Blog? You might find some helpful information there.
    Thank you for your reply Therese1. I only used the Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap (liquid in peppermint) one time just to do a deep wash—in case I had too much build up from all shea butter products? (My usual shampoo is the SM JBCO.) I wasn't going to use it again. I was thinking of trying co-washing, which is why I used Dr Bronner's. Though, do you think doing that one time will be harmful? Here are the ingredients for the one I used. 

Ingredients: Water, Organic Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Organic Olive Oil, Menta Arvensis, Organic Fair Deal Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil, Citric Acid, Tocopherol. 

Thank you for the info! 

Guide 65 said:
    Welcome!

The humidity percentage doesn't matter - what matters is the dew point.  But the PNW never gets dry like the desert, and it doesn't get muggy/humid like the southern states.  I wouldn't worry too much about the glycerin.  It tends to cause frizz, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

Some people's hair is reactive to coconut oil, but some people's hair loves it.  If you're doing ok with it, don't worry about that either.  Shea butter is another that some people love, and some people don't. It can build up on the hair and prevent moisture from entering the hair shaft.  Which I guess is the same for coconut oil, if you don't remove it occasionally.  It'll seal in the moisture, but it also seals it out and prevents your hair from absorbing any water.

I would suggest starting with a good, strong clarifying shampoo - something with sulfates but no silicones.  I agree with @Therese1 about the Dr. Bronners.  Stick with products made specifically for hair.  Then after clarifying, try some products that are not heavy with shea butter. Do you ever cowash?  It might be good to switch to that for a little bit.  Tresemme Botanique is inexpensive and makes a good cowash and conditioner.  Giovanni has some nice conditioners, and it's not too expensive.  Or you could switch to some more expensive products - Deva Curl (has lots of protein) or Jessicurl (I think most are no protein).

Thank you for your reply! I'll have to check the dew point, but it has been unusually dry and hot this summer in the valley. 

Like I shared with Therese1: I only used the Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap (liquid in peppermint) one time just to do a deep wash—in case I had too much build up from all shea butter products? (My usual shampoo is the SM JBCO.) I wasn't going to use it again. I was thinking of trying co-washing, which is why I used Dr Bronner's. Though, do you think doing that one time will be harmful? Here are the ingredients for the one I used. 

Ingredients: Water, Organic Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Organic Olive Oil, Menta Arvensis, Organic Fair Deal Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil, Citric Acid, Tocopherol.

On the label is says you can use if as a shampoo, but you can also use it for LOTS of other things. So not a specific shampoo product. 

I've tried co-washing in the past, but have never committed to it. I'm not remembering why. Though I think it's time to commit. I choose cruelty free products/companies so I'll have to research sulfate shampoos, unless you have a recommendation for me? I believe my husband has a sulfate bar shampoo that I can use. Do yo think the Dr. Bronner's based on the ingredient list I shared would have been clarifying enough? 

Thanks again!
    edited September 2018
    Just wanted to add a further comment about using Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 Pure Castile Soap as a shampoo. The bottle says you can use it, but upon further investigation, I found on their website "If there’s one important thing to remember about washing your hair with Dr. Bronner’s, it’s that you need to follow up with an acidic conditioning rinse. We recommend our Organic Conditioning Rinse, which is specially formulated for this purpose and uses a base of organic lemon juice—but you can also use diluted apple cider vinegar in a pinch."

I know folks use baking soda and vinegar to clean and adjust PH. So it seems you can do it with Dr. Bronner's as well. Though I think you two are right about using a poo that is formulated specifically for the hair will probably be safer on my damaged and dry hair! I was hoping by using the Dr. Bronner's one time that I could get a clarifying start. (I didn't have any other shampoos) I would not use it regularly, though it seems people do use it as their main shampoo, according to the Dr. Bronner's website.

I do think shea butter has been good in my hair overall, but I wonder if I'm just getting shea butter overload. I'm going to try to limit it to a couple of products. 
    edited September 2018
    A few more questions. I do still have to find a cruelty free shampoo, if anyone has a recommendation that doesn't have shea butter? Or co-wash, as I would like to try the method. I'll continue to use my SM JBCO poo until I run out of it. 

I'd like to continue with the Shea Moisture High Porosity Masque. Can I use it as a conditioner every time I wash? 

I'll stick to the SM JBCO and Style and Curl Milk as a leave in until I run out. I've read some good stuff about Blueberry Bliss. I like that it has aloe in it. And it also has coconut oil. It doesn't have shea butter so this would be a step that I could omit it from. Does anyone see any reason why I shouldn't mix this with my other products here?

I enjoyed what the Camille Rose Curl Maker did for my hair yesterday. It felt so soft and the curls looked better than they had in a while. It has coconut oil and aloe in it too. Would this be enough to seal? Would I still need an oil? I guess I should try it out. 

I'll keep using my jojoba oil to seal until I run out. I thought that maybe I could scrunch out the crunch after the Curl Maker set?

Thanks again for the hair aid!
    About the Dr. Bronners - it's already done, so no need to worry about it.  They might say you can use it as a shampoo - doesn't mean it's a good idea. I looked up Potassium Hydroxide.  It's also known as caustic potash.  Here's a little blurb I found:

"Potassium Hydroxide is extremely corrosive and can be a hazardous irritant when exposure is at high levels. According to its Material Safety Data Sheet, it "May cause irritation. Prolonged contact may produce discoloration. Potassium hydroxide is corrosive! Contact of skin can cause irritation or severe burns and scarring with greater exposures." Other studies have shown that it can degrade the natural skin barrier."

What I know is, when I use Dr. Bronners to wash my hands, my skin starts cracking open.  I avoid that stuff with a ten foot pole.

And about the baking soda/vinegar in hair - also not a good idea.  Vinegar is an acid, baking soda is a base.  Using that is stressing your hair needlessly.  And I would advise you to stay away from bar shampoos. Soaps leave soap scum in your shower.  You don't want that in your hair. 

I don't know much about what products are cruelty free.  But try looking into Mop Top and Jessicurl.  They both have clarifying shampoos, and they're both really good product lines.
    Current products:
    edited September 2018
    Guide 65 said:
    About the Dr. Bronners - it's already done, so no need to worry about it.  They might say you can use it as a shampoo - doesn't mean it's a good idea. I looked up Potassium Hydroxide.  It's also known as caustic potash.  Here's a little blurb I found:

"Potassium Hydroxide is extremely corrosive and can be a hazardous irritant when exposure is at high levels. According to its Material Safety Data Sheet, it "May cause irritation. Prolonged contact may produce discoloration. Potassium hydroxide is corrosive! Contact of skin can cause irritation or severe burns and scarring with greater exposures." Other studies have shown that it can degrade the natural skin barrier."

What I know is, when I use Dr. Bronners to wash my hands, my skin starts cracking open.  I avoid that stuff with a ten foot pole.

And about the baking soda/vinegar in hair - also not a good idea.  Vinegar is an acid, baking soda is a base.  Using that is stressing your hair needlessly.  And I would advise you to stay away from bar shampoos. Soaps leave soap scum in your shower.  You don't want that in your hair. 

I don't know much about what products are cruelty free.  But try looking into Mop Top and Jessicurl.  They both have clarifying shampoos, and they're both really good product lines.
    Yes, I saw that info too when I researched it earlier and it scared me a bit. But I looked into it further because I've used their product for years, with no issues. Yes, potassium hydroxide is highly corrosive when used alone, but during the soap making process the alkalies change in the Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap process (and other lye-based soap making.)

From Dr. Bronner's Website:

"Soap is made by saponifying a fat or oil with an alkali. A fat or oil is a triglyceride, which means that three fatty acids of various carbon lengths are attached to a glycerin backbone. The alkali is either sodium hydroxide (lye) for bars or potassium hydroxide (potash) for liquids. Alkali is made by running electricity through salt water.
    The saponification process is a simple one-step reaction with no waste generated: the glycerin is split off from the fatty acids, and the fatty acids combine with the sodium or potassium to form soap, while the hydroxide forms water. The result is soap, glycerin and water (no alkali remains in our soaps)."

They have to list it in the ingredients since it is used in their recipe prior to the chemical change. The product is considered safe to use. (Though, it may not be so safe for the soap maker! I'm sure they take measures for safety.) The PH is 8.9 so not caustic. I can attest to safety as well. I've been using Dr. Bronner's for hand soap in my bathroom and kitchen for over 15 years and have never had issues like you have had with my skin. Nor anyone else in my household. None of us use it in our hair though. I've only ever used it in my hair one other time then the last. I was just hoping it might clarify for me. 

Looks like I may need to still do a clarifying shampoo wash before starting co-washing? If the potassium hydroxide is not actually present, then I doubt the rest of the ingredients did much to strip any residues. 

Interesting findings with this information. Thanks for engaging the discussion with me and for the suggestions of products!
    I don't have time to write much now (I'll try to pop back in later), but here is the information I was going off of regarding alkaline solutions and the hair:
    https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html

She does say that pH 9 is the upper limit for safety, but 8.9 is awfully close (too close for my comfort), so I would still be wary about using it in hair.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Love the science-y hair blog!  I don't always understand everything she's talking about, but I can usually get the gist of it.
    Current products:
    edited September 2018
    Therese1 said:
    I don't have time to write much now (I'll try to pop back in later), but here is the information I was going off of regarding alkaline solutions and the hair:
    https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html

She does say that pH 9 is the upper limit for safety, but 8.9 is awfully close (too close for my comfort), so I would still be wary about using it in hair.
    Well, I am not going to use Dr. Bronner's in my hair. Just mentioned that some people do and that's fine. Whatever works for people. I'm not going to chance it though.  Once was enough to scare me. But for hands, it's been great for our household! 

So back to my original question and hair needs. I think I need a clarifying shampoo still to try CoWashing. Will have to find something.

I THANK YOU @Therese1 for sharing the Science-yHairblog! So informative and making sense of it. My husband is a biologist and I shared the Protein 101 blogpost with him and we have been discussing it. I think the protein/moisture balance is going to get me somewhere safe. I've been so scared of protein by what I've read online. (One must take care about online information! So much misinformation, plus everyone's hair is so unique!) I'm realizing it may be what I need. Trial and error with products too. 

My usual routine (before the routine I had breakage from) has protein in every product! When I switched to my husband's SM Detox shampoo and conditioner for the few weeks, there were NO proteins in those products. I'm wondering now if my breakage is because of the lack of protein and maybe not the overabundance of shea butter? I'm not sure. So many variables. I need to start fresh. 

I know WS says in their Sciencyhairblog that we need hydrolyzed proteins which I have in the SM JBCO poo, SM HiPo mask and SM Curl Milk and Smoothie. She says you don't want them in all your products so you have room to adjust your needs. I think I'm going to switch to using proteins in just the mask and leave in and try protein-free poo/co wash and keep using the CR Curl Maker to stay hydrated. I like this stuff. Used it again today after washing and leave-in (SM Curl and Style Milk) and my curls look healthier, though my hair still seems fragile.  I put Jojoba oil in after the Curl Maker. 

I think coconut oil may be good for me (it's in the Curl Maker), but WS says avocado and sunflower work too. I think I may try avocado oil to get that penetration into the hair before washing. 

I guess it's a real journey! Again. I feel like I'm always trying to figure out my curls! 

Thanks so much for engaging this discussion with me. It has helped to empower me to figure this out for good!

Cheers!
    Guide 65 said:
    Love the science-y hair blog!  I don't always understand everything she's talking about, but I can usually get the gist of it.
    Yes, there are so many details. My husband is a science guy and I shared the Protein 101 blogpost with him. He is helping me to grasp the information that is shared as applied to my hair damage.

It's very considerate of WS to post their breadth of knowledge like that. Do you know their background? I couldn't find their "about me" page.

I found Wendy's info at her goosefoot site. I emailed her to be put on the list for hair analysis. I think this will be very helpful. Have you two had your hair analyzed? @Therese1 and @Guide65

Sounds like it may be a while before I can have it done, so will have to just do some trial and error work based on the info from her blog. 
    I got rid of the duplicate posts.  I don't know why this happens, but sometimes the site just seems to hiccup once in a while and we end up with repeats.  No worries!

I did have my hair analyzed.  It some ways it helped.  I couldn't figure out my porosity.  She told me I had low porosity near the roots and high porosity at the ends.  That's why the online quizzes came out with such widely various answers.  But in some ways it just added to my confusion.  She said my cuticles have chipping near the roots.  I have no idea what to do with that information.  I'm glad I had it done, but I think I would have been just fine without it too.

After rereading this thread, I just wanted to clarify something about the shea butter.  I don't think that in itself will cause breakage in your hair.  Just that it can prevent moisturization of the hair which promotes dryness and that dryness can cause breakage.  But then some people love it, so once again, it's all so very individual.  No one's hair seems to react the same.

So for clarifying shampoo, look for something with sulfates (or sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate), but no silicones.  You're looking for cruelty free products I think.  I don't know much about it, but try checking out Moptop or Jessicurl.  They're smaller companies, both have great products, and I'd bet they're cruelty free.

Current products:
    Guide 65 said:
    I got rid of the duplicate posts.  I don't know why this happens, but sometimes the site just seems to hiccup once in a while and we end up with repeats.  No worries!

I did have my hair analyzed.  It some ways it helped.  I couldn't figure out my porosity.  She told me I had low porosity near the roots and high porosity at the ends.  That's why the online quizzes came out with such widely various answers.  But in some ways it just added to my confusion.  She said my cuticles have chipping near the roots.  I have no idea what to do with that information.  I'm glad I had it done, but I think I would have been just fine without it too.

After rereading this thread, I just wanted to clarify something about the shea butter.  I don't think that in itself will cause breakage in your hair.  Just that it can prevent moisturization of the hair which promotes dryness and that dryness can cause breakage.  But then some people love it, so once again, it's all so very individual.  No one's hair seems to react the same.

So for clarifying shampoo, look for something with sulfates (or sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate), but no silicones.  You're looking for cruelty free products I think.  I don't know much about it, but try checking out Moptop or Jessicurl.  They're smaller companies, both have great products, and I'd bet they're cruelty free.

Thanks for cleaning up those posts! 

When did you have your hair analysis done and how long did you have to wait for it? I could see how that could cause more confusion! Do you remember if you had changed products part way through your hair length for you to have low-po at roots and hi-po at ends?! Wow. How did you handle working with two porosities in your hair?

I could see that about shea butter regarding moisture. I think instead of having ALL of my products be from Shea Moisture, I could find a couple products that don't have shea butter. I'll check out Moptop and Jessicurl for sure. Thank you!!
    It sounds like the Science-y Hair Blog is giving you the info you need. That is great! "WS" is Wendy, who writes the blog. I believe she is a chemist in real life.

As for cruelty-free products, do you have any natural foods stores near you? They usually carry a lot of cruelty-free brands.

I didn't have a hair analysis done. It would be nice, but I seem to be doing OK with trial and error for now.
    I only had to wait a couple days to order the hair analysis.  I just happened to get onto the wait list at just the right time, and then as soon as I heard she opened up her etsy shop, I ordered immediately.  Once I sent in my hair, it took about 6 weeks to get the results.

I think the ends of my hair are just older and have been through brushing, blow drying, sun, wind, etc.  They're just not quite as healthy as the newer hair up closer to the roots.  I still use the same products I've always used, but I concentrate on applying them to the ends but not the roots, then use water/squish action to move the product upwards, so the ends have lots of product but the roots have very little. 
    Current products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file