My hair looks dirty, frizzy, wet and oily

GaleaGalea Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Hi! i have 2c/3a hair (with small pieces like 2a-2b). the front my hair is 2b-2c while in the back it's a lot more dry and curlier. I don't have layers, but I want to get them because the most of my curls are under the top layers in my hair. Would it work to get a layered haircut to enhance the curls (and to get more volume)? I have tried gel, mousse and cremes. But all of them make my hair look wet, sticky and dirty, mainly because my hair is dark blonde (I guess). gel make my hair look sticky and wet, but mousse make my hair frizzy and undefined even tho I get volume. what can I have in my hair that does not make my hair look this way? and I plop and diffuse my hair but it's still look wet, dirty etc. 

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think that most people get layered haircuts if their hair is around shoulder length. This helps prevent pyramid head. If the hair is more chin length, then I think that layering is not recommended. But I am not the smartest about haircuts, so maybe someone else will chime in.

I think that the dirty, frizzy look has more to do with the specific products you are using than with gels or mousses in general. What products are you using? Do you co-wash or use shampoo?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think I agree that the products thing is depending on your products. Mousses that rant Curly Girl Method approved tends to have alcohols in them which would lead to frizz. Gels can have alcohol or just plain out never dry leading to that weird dirty sticky feel. What products are you using? When was the last time you clarified with a sulfate shampoo? Build up with the gel could be an issue as well.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't like the way gel looks in my hair until it is dry and I have scrunched out the crunch.  I does look stringy and gross.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file