Help! Protein??!

marewavesmarewaves Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
Hi friends! I’m relatively new to the Method, 5ish weeks in, and my hair is so over moisturized! It’s limp and can’t support its curl pattern. My waves/curls fall out within an hour or two of styling. My hair literally has these super-stretched twists that look like I fingercoiled wet hair- but It made them on its own.  I’ve been researching for the last couple weeks trying to figure out what to do and I’m thinking I need to try protein. Im confused if I should go protein treatments or if I should switch to protein rich cleansers and products? Any ideas or regimens you like?

I have 2b, fine, very low porosity hair that is crazy moisturized naturally. It’s never been chemically treated or dyed.

thanks for helping me out!! This was yesterday after washing and styling. All the curl was gone, minus the ends, by lunchtime. :/

Comments

• KatelizaKateliza Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    I've been having the exact same problem! I just started the curly girl method recently and my hair is pretty similar to yours (2b/2c and fine) but by the end of the day my curls are completely limp and look more like 2a. I switched to using sulfate-free shampoo instead of just co-washing and that seemed to help with the over-moisturizing a little, and also using less leave-in conditioner.
    But I'm also new to this and very confused about the whole protein thing, so if anyone else has some advice it would be greatly appreciated!
  • marewavesmarewaves Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
    Kateliza- I’ve been using DevaCurl delight low-poo and it helps a ton. I also quit applying leave ins in the last week and my hair is less heavy. What other products are you using? 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you want to try protein, I would just look for protein-rich products. Protein treatments are generally made for damaged hair, and that might be too much protein for you. 

If you want, you could search for the gelatin protein treatment from the Science-y Hair Blog. That is generally a pretty gentle treatment and should be an easy way to determine how your hair reacts to protein.

I agree that using low poo is the way to go if your hair gets easily overmoisturized.

Are you using a hard-hold gel? My waves wouldn't last more than a couple of hours without a hard-hold gel.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file