HELP! Hair lost all it’s curl and is now flat and extremely silky and won’t hold a curl at all!

snschlosssnschloss Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I had Beautiful 2a/2b wavy hair that was so voluminous and I would’ve killed to get it flat! I straightened it for many years and finally started embracing my natural hair a few years ago. While I was straightening I would get express keratin treatments. The last one I got was in December. My hair is now no longer heat damaged and is very healthy, but since December I have been losing more and more curl every month (even after the keratin should have worn off) my hairdresser says there is no way there is any keratin left in my hair, and all of a sudden (since two weeks ago) my hair will not hold a curl and is flat against my head. Before December, after all of the other keratin treatments my hair would be a little straighter for a month until the keratin was washed out and then it would go back to normal. Now it is practically straight and so silky. I have very fine hair but i’ve Never had any issues holding a curl as my hair is (used to be) so malleable. Now it is completely flat  and won’t even stay curled if I leave a braid in for 6 hours or let it dry in a braid. I have changed my product multiple times, tried scrunching with mousse, have clarified my hair and I feel like i’ve Tried everything. How can my hair suddenly change in a week? Does anyone have any experience with this? It is such as drastic change!

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    How is your virgin hair? If the last was December, you should have 3-4 inches of virgin hair. Does it feel the same way? A change that drastic could be related to hormones. (not a doctor and not a diagnosis, just a thought).
  • MeganTRMeganTR Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Sometimes when your hair is over moisturized it stops holding a curl. Protein can remedy the issue. Either use hair products with proteins in the ingredients (this article has a list of common proteins in hair products:  https://www.texturedtalk.com/how-to-understand-ingredients-in-natural-hair-products/) or you can do a diy hair mask with greek yogurt and eggs.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I get this result when I have overused certain types of smaller proteins, like silk proteins. Maybe try eliminating all your protein-containing products for a couple of weeks (watch for hidden proteins, like grain extracts) and see what happens. If your hair gets worse, then you will know that you are protein deficient and need to up the protein.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I get that when I don't have enough protein.  If you tell us the products you use now, we can see if you have any protein, and try to diagnose if it's too much or not enough.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I make sure to use products that have protein otherwise I get overmoisturized and flat. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • snschlosssnschloss Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    BrittanyM said:
    How is your virgin hair? If the last was December, you should have 3-4 inches of virgin hair. Does it feel the same way? A change that drastic could be related to hormones. (not a doctor and not a diagnosis, just a thought).
    Yes it has a new texture now for the most part. It is much more flat.
  • snschlosssnschloss Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    I get that when I don't have enough protein.  If you tell us the products you use now, we can see if you have any protein, and try to diagnose if it's too much or not enough.
    I used to use the Organix nourishing coconut milk shampoo and conditioner, but I switched last week to the garnier fructis curl nourishing shampoo and conditioner hoping a change in product would help the situation (it made it worse almost). I don’t use any other products on my hair normally except for shampoo and conditioner.
  • steadycettisteadycetti Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @snschloss I am having the same problem! What a drag. My hair is silky smooth and won't keep a curl. I just switched to Shea Moisture's Low Porosity Shampoo & Conditioner - I even tried LA Looks getl today and it's still flat. Have you found the solution? Is it protein?
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You could try a protein treatment.  An easy DIY option is a gelatin treatment.  Here's a recipe http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file