Is it true that too much protein can make your curls limp and not hold their shape?

CdeeandaCdeeanda Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited September 2018 in Protein-Craving
I don't remember where I heard that, but I do notice my curls are more defined when I use protein but don't bounce back when I comb them through while wet.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,795Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Limp and not holding their shape could be a sign of either not enough protein or too much protein.  Do you use any products with protein now?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • CdeeandaCdeeanda Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Limp and not holding their shape could be a sign of either not enough protein or too much protein.  Do you use any products with protein now?
    No not at the moment. I had been using the Aphogee 2 min protein treatment for a little bit to repair the damage to my hair but then I stopped when I heard using too much could be bad. That was about a year ago. My hair was limp then too. But that could have been from the damage....

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,500Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It can be tricky determining whether your hair has not enough protein or too much. I get similar results in both cases: limp hair that doesn't hold a curl well. The main difference is that if my hair doesn't have enough protein, it feels mushy when wet, whereas if I have too much protein, the hair feels frizzy and a bit strawlike when wet.

Different types of protein can also cause issues for some people. I tend to avoid wheat protein because it makes my hair straighter.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • SojSoj Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Novice
    "Limp" sounds more like a problem with body/volume.  Two things that have helped me with that (YHMMV) are Shea Moisture products:

Manuka/Yogurt Protein Power Treatment.  This made a HUGE difference to my hair - and I left it on for probably at least 30 mins longer than you're supposed to (forgot to set the timer right away, then forgot to rinse it when it went off after the estimated-time).  They recommend 10 to 15 mins and I was TERRIFIED I had ruined my hair by leaving it in there for like 3 or 4 times as long as they say.  But it is fine.  This helped mostly with definition and texture.  Given how long I left it on there, my hair must have been absolutely protein STARVED.  At any rate even though I left it on there for so long, my hair is much improved post-treatment.

Mongongo/Hemp masque as a rinse-out.  This made the most difference for body/volume.  But it still lacked definition and curl.  Curl was better, but improved even more after the protein treatment above.

I also oil between washing with hemp oil, sometimes almond oil, sometimes both.  Mostly hemp.  The good stuff that hasn't been processed to deodorize it.  It'll be green coming out of the bottle and should smell of dried grass/hay.  I find it pleasant, some people think it stinks, but even if *I* thought it stank, its so good for my hair and scalp I'd use it anyway.

Too much protein can cause the very condition you are trying to solve (loss of curl, body, volume, strength).  But since you've not used any in a year, I'd say that's not much of a worry right now.  A protein treatment might get you closer to your goal.  The Manuka/Yogurt Protein Power Treatment is milder than the Aphogee. In fact I looked at the Aphogee just a few days ago and decided to pass on it because there is something in it that is "bad" for hair.  Don't remember what it was but it was something I didn't want so I went with the Manuka/yogurt protein treatment and I've been very happy with that.  The Manuka/Yogurt stuff smells pretty good too.  Very very light, pleasant scent.

Looked it up and it was probably the Amodimethicone in the Aphogee, a type of silicone.  It's supposed to be not-as-bad as other silicones but I avoid them all after my trip to Pantene Hell.  YHMMV.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file