Major Porosity Confusion

RubydancerRubydancer Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited September 2018 in Hair Type 4
Hello!
Is there an accurate way to determine hair porosity? I’ve heard that the water glass test shouldn’t be solely relied upon.  After applying moisturizing products my hair often has a white film and still feels stiff and dry. Is it possible my hair is extremely low porosity and not absorbing the moisture? 

However I’ve also noticed that my hair does not retain moisture well even if I deep condition using heat. My hair also air dries quickly after washing. Doesn’t this typically indicate high porosity? 

I apologize for the lengthy post but I’ve read a lot about how to determine porosity and I am still struggling to find out mine. I feel like if I can figure out my porosity I can build a more effective regimen  :)
if anyone has any ideas or similar experiences to share I would be incredibly grateful.

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    It's really difficult to determine porosity.  How well does your hair absorb products?  When you apply a dime size bit of conditioner, does your hair soak it up and you need to apply more, or does it feel your hair is already coated?

And to make things even more confusing, not all hair is the same porosity throughout.  I have low porosity at the roots and high porosity at the ends.  I have some areas with a lot of grey - those are even lower porosity than my ends.  I ended up getting a hair analysis to figure this out.  Which is not necessary - it didn't really help me much to know this.  My hair still acted the same way.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    If you want to know your porosity for sure, you could order a hair analysis from Goosefootprints.

The white film on your hair might be the particular products you are using, or from the particular combination of products (some products don't play well together).

As @Guide 65 suggests, it can be helpful to look at the types of products you use and how well they absorb into the hair. Back when my hair was high porosity, I could use a lot of heavy, oily products on it, and my hair didn't get greasy or weighed down. It all absorbed. I could also use a lot of products that were heavy on protein.

Now that my hair is low porosity, it is extremely prone to build-up and gets weighted down by oily products. If I use too much protein, my hair becomes frizzy and straight and doesn't want to dry.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You could also have buildup which will prevent the moisture from getting to you hair.

I would try to evaluate your hair after clarifying.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• RubydancerRubydancer Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    All of that made a lot of sense and helped.  Thank you all very much. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file