12+ Hours to Air Dry - What to do?

CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Curl NovicePosts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
I have 2c/3b course, dry hair (thick and bra-strap length).  Due to how long it takes to dry, I've concluded that my hair is low porosity.  (I would post in the Low Porosity section, but it seems that it's not used often).  Typically my hair is a dry, frizzy mess.  However, I've recently started doing the "Laura Method" whereby after cowashing, you flip upside down to rinse, and then put scads (3+ *giant* handfuls) of leave-in conditioner in.  You apply the leave-in using the "praying hands" method and then scrunch, scrunch, scrunch.  That amount of leave-in conditioner seems to really work for my hair (e.g, it's finally moisturized and not dry/frizzy looking).  You then apply gel using pray hands and scrunch that in.  Laura then plops for 30 minutes, diffuses for an hour, and she's beautiful (search "laura method' on youTube if you want to see).  

I, on the other hand, plop for 20-30 minutes and then sit under a hooded dryer on cool for 1 hour. (I also have diffused for an hour, but the results are not so different.  Therefore, I'd rather do things like eat breakfast while sitting under the dryer).  Then, I leave for work.  My hair is just shy of soaking wet.  About 11-12 hours later, my hair finally is dry enough to "scrunch out the crunch".  This means that I spend nearly my entire work day with wet, "gel-y" hair, and it's just horrible.  It's unprofessional for my office place.  If I did all of that and looked good on Day 2 and onward, it might be worth it.  Instead, I have to repeat the process at least every other day.  And my Day 2 hair looks like a frizzy hot mess.  

I've read lots on the forum and it seems like I may benefit from a hair steamer for Day 2 (sigh!  Yet another device that I have to go purchase for this horror).  I'm willing to try that. 

However, what I'm ultimately hoping is for advice from someone whose hair takes as long as mine to air dry who has come up with some solution.  Any recommendations would be very appreciated.  I simply don't have that many hours to look like a wet seal.  :-) 

Thank you! 

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    By any chance, do you have virgin hair? No chemical treatment? No color? The more products the longer it takes to dry. My hair takes about 6 hours to dry and sometimes 12 ish depending on if I put it up and went to bed. Hold off on the steamer. They are expensive and it’s best to know if you like steam or not. Try boiling water and leaning your head over it. Or use the steam from the shower. It’s not quite the same but it will give you an idea if you like it or not.
  • CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Curl Novice Posts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I do have virgin hair - no chemical treatments or color.  Yes, I have a lot of product in my hair -- just the leave-in alone is mega handfuls.  If this is just the reality of having to put that much product (to moisturize it), maybe I should try to wash at night, plop, and go to bed.  I have not had much luck with that in the past.  I've woken up with some crazy hair.  However, maybe I should try to experiment with techniques of sleeping with it wet.  

Thanks so much for the advice to hold off on the steamer. 

Thanks so much.  
    Low porosity hair tends to like less products. Try skipping the Laura method since she does use a ton of products. See if you can get by with one dual purpose product. Like a cream gel. Or try using half the amount of everything you are using. I understand your frustration and sleeping with wet hair usually creates weird texture for me as well as still having damp hair in the morning. And I hate diffusing.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Curl Virtuoso Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I do not have low porosity hair, but I like to use multiple microfiber towels.  I rope scrunch my hair, find a dry spot on the towel scrunch more continue until I need another towel.

If you don't want to invest in multiple microfiber towels, you try Tshirts.

Hope this helps.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Curl Novice Posts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Thanks so much to both of you for helping!  

I get the sense that I'm using way too much product.  I love the idea of a gel cream.  I've never tried that before.  I will do!
    Here is an article about moisturizing low porosity hair:
    https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html
    2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you considered using warm heat under the hooded dryer? I think that low-po hair is less prone to getting damaged by heat. In fact, I think it is good to use some heat on low-po hair because it helps open up the cuticle so that product and conditioner can absorb. I would try using a warm setting and see if that helps your hair dry faster.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • beantreesbeantrees Curl Connoisseur Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I've tried the Laura method too and found it was just way too much leave-in for me, and took too long for it to dry.  She does have beautiful hair though and it seems to work well for her.  

I agree with @WavyKfromNJ - try using a microfibre towel.  I bought one in the auto department of a hardware store.  I plop in it and it soaks up quite a bit of water though if there's too much leave in, it doesn't do as well.  It's also good if you don't plop but scrunch with the towel to remove excess water and product.  I've never used a tshirt but would imagine it would become saturated with water pretty quickly and not soak up any more.
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Oh thank you all!  BrittanyM - the gel cream was a game changer!  I had no idea.  
    I do plop and scrunch with multiple micro-fiber towels (I should have said so!), but I appreciate the help.  I also will try the heat under the hooded dryer.  

In case anyone else is having this same trouble and reading this thread, here's what I did today:
    1.  Washed with a clarifying shampoo to get all of the previous product out (had Ouidad Water Works on hand, so that's what I used today).
    2.  Applied conditioner (had Living Proof Restore on hand, so that's what I used).  Detangled using fingers.  Rinsed out upside down.  
    3.  Applied only one small palm-full of conditioner mixed with water (again, Living Proof Restore) while upside down using praying hands method.  Shook like dog.  Scrunched.  
    4.  Applied small amount of gel cream (had Deva Curl B'Leave in Miracles on hand, so used that) using praying hands.  Shook like dog.  Scrunched using microfiber towel.
    5.  Plopped in to a t-shirt for 30 minutes.  
    6.  Removed t-shirt and shook like dog.  
    Air dryed.  My hair was dry after 4 hours of air-drying!  And looked way better than it has looked in quite a while (ever?).  My top surface (which is extremely coarse) still looks a bit dry.  But the rest of the hair actually is quite pretty (if I do say so myself).  

I feel like this is a breakthrough!  If you also are struggling with this issue, please give it a try.  

I'm going to read the article on moisturizing low-po hair and then work to tweak this.  Thank you all so very much!
    @CurlyJennyD ; Do you leave in the restore conditioner?  I also use restore, but I always rinse it out.  I have been thinking of using it as a leave-in.  
    2b, 2c,

Awesome! So glad you made some progress! 4 hours is not nearly as bad as 12.
    @WavyKfromNJ - I do use the Living Proof Restore Conditioner as a Leave-In sometimes.  Today I diluted it with water when using it as a leave-in (this was because I was at the end of the bottle and was mixing water into the bottle to finish off the dregs).  I think that I liked it diluted as a leave-in better than when I've used it full strength.  I don't know if we're "supposed" to use it as a leave-in.  However, I often do.  (But note that I've been using WAY too much product for my hair.  So take my experience with a raised eyebrow.  :-)).  
    Thanks for all the help!
    @WavyKfromNJ - I do use the Living Proof Restore Conditioner as a Leave-In sometimes.  Today I diluted it with water when using it as a leave-in (this was because I was at the end of the bottle and was mixing water into the bottle to finish off the dregs).  I think that I liked it diluted as a leave-in better than when I've used it full strength.  I don't know if we're "supposed" to use it as a leave-in.  However, I often do.  (But note that I've been using WAY too much product for my hair.  So take my experience with a raised eyebrow.  :-)).  
    Thanks for all the help!
    I also tend to be a bit heavy handed with my products.  For a few weeks I have been thinking about not rinsing out my conditioner.  Now I know I feel more confident about it.  Thanks
    2b, 2c,

@CurlyJennyD ; Yesterday I used the Living Proof Restore as a leave-in.  I used less conditioner and more gel.  I will say so far it has been very successful.  Thanks.
    2b, 2c,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file