how can i define my waves and preserve them?

caitywavycaitywavy Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
hi guys,
so if im honest im quite new to this whole community and to be fair, i was completely unaware that i even had waves for the majority if my life... ive started scrunching with a microfibre towel and using foxycurl bedhead contour cream often after showering and then plopping with a tshirt, these are my waves on a really good day after doing this:

they looked really good here but i struggle to have a consistently good result like this after washing (silicone+sulfate free) scrunching with microfiber towel, adding cream and plopping. my hair doesnt last long in this state and honestly the longest it will look this good is for maybe 4/5 hours before it frizzes and loses quite a lot of definition. i also dont live in the usa and shipping to where i live is very $$$ so i was wondering if any of you happen to know easy diy's that would have the same affect as gels etc that i would use if i were in the usa. the climate i live in might affect my hair too as the weather here is much like las vegas in summer for most of the year!!
if any of you have any help at all it would be greatly appreciated!!!
thank you xxxx 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Just from that picture, I'd say it was a 2a/b, but maybe there are curlier parts that I can't see.  We all have multiple types of curls on our head, and wavies tend to have various curl patterns depending on products, weather, etc.  It's not very important to have an exact curl pattern anyway - it's more for fun or comparison.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  You have some nice waves there!

First, the Bedhead Foxy Curls contour cream has silicones (assuming the ingredients are the same as what they sell in the US).  You might want to find something else, or use a sulphate shampoo to get the silicones out of your hair.  Use the shampoo once and then use a non-silicone cream, or keep using the cream and use the sulphate shampoo every wash day, or maybe every other day.

Gels provide hold, which will keep your waves going all day long, and even into 2nd and 3rd days.  Giovanni is a brand that's somewhat easy to find internationally - you might try searching for that.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to get good at reading ingredient labels.  You can DIY by making gel from flax seeds, but the ingredients you need for hold might be harder to find.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • caitywavycaitywavy Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome!  You have some nice waves there!

First, the Bedhead Foxy Curls contour cream has silicones (assuming the ingredients are the same as what they sell in the US).  You might want to find something else, or use a sulphate shampoo to get the silicones out of your hair.  Use the shampoo once and then use a non-silicone cream, or keep using the cream and use the sulphate shampoo every wash day, or maybe every other day.

Gels provide hold, which will keep your waves going all day long, and even into 2nd and 3rd days.  Giovanni is a brand that's somewhat easy to find internationally - you might try searching for that.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to get good at reading ingredient labels.  You can DIY by making gel from flax seeds, but the ingredients you need for hold might be harder to find.
    thank you for your help... would you say my hair is 2b? because it is extremely thick sometimes depending on the website i struggle to differ my hair type from a 2b/c as there are a few ringlets closer to the nape of my hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file