Wavemaker - stringy hair

Pree990Pree990 Posts: 28Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hey everyone,

I have type low porosity 2A hair.  I had been experimenting with a gel for a few months and gave up on it because it weighed my hair down too much ( I tried Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls and LA Looks which looked nice if a diffused but otherwise it felt like it weighed my hair down).  

I moved onto Devacurl Wavemaker because I read a lot of good things about it.  My hair looked really good when I tried a sample of it about 5 months ago but I've been finding that my hair looks stringy with it now.  I wash with TJ Tea Tree Tingle and condition with V05 Strawberries and Cream and clarify every 3 weeks with V05 Kiwi Lime shampoo.  After conditioning I take a quarter sized dallop of wavemaker and use the praying hands method to distribute it and then scrunch it in.  I've also tried just scrunching it in directly and not using praying hands and it still looks stringy.  I've also tried using a nickel sized amount but found that my hair would get really frizzy so I've been playing with using a little more.  I even tried layering a tiny bit of gel on top after too - still stringy.  

Any advice on how to make it work?  Otherwise I'm having trouble justifying the cost of this stuff lol.

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It might be that the Deva performs better in different dew points. If you tried it five months ago, I'm guessing the dew point was quite different (?). A lot of us on the forum find that products can behave very differently based on the dew point and time of year.

I personally didn't have much luck with Wavemaker. It seemed to make my hair sticky and dry.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Pree990Pree990 Posts: 28Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited August 2018
    Therese1 said:
    It might be that the Deva performs better in different dew points. If you tried it five months ago, I'm guessing the dew point was quite different (?). A lot of us on the forum find that products can behave very differently based on the dew point and time of year.

I personally didn't have much luck with Wavemaker. It seemed to make my hair sticky and dry.
    Thanks for your reply!

Oh interesting.  My haircare knowledge wasn't advanced enough to consider dew point lol.  Dew point relates to humidity, yeah?  Cause if that's the case, I would think my hair would be bigger since the summer months are more humid but instead it's kind of flat and stringy.  

I thought since this was lightweight it'd work out better but I found that Cantu Conditioning Foam might have worked better for me than Wavemaker and it has heavy stuff in it like shea butter and other oils.

Question- I see that you have fine hair and low porosity, would you mind sharing your routine or point me to where you might have already done so?

• hmr1016hmr1016 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the same issues with the wavemaker. I'm not convinced it really does anything except make my hair smell like a fruit cocktail. I've had some good luck with foam products as well. You might also want to look into layering some "ultra light" gels with a light leave in conditioner. Deva Curl has the Ultra Light Defining Gel and I believe Curl Keeper has a really light gel, but I haven't tried it. Briogeo Rosarco Milk is a nice and light leave in.
    Current 2B/2C Routine:
    Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
    Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
    Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
    Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

• CurledvinesCurledvines Posts: 60Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    What happens if you use more Wavemaker? I have found I need a lot of Deva product in soaking hair to get the clumping well defined.
    2C/3A long hair with some 3C thrown in
    High Porosity, dense, coarse hair
    I make my own protein masks
    hmr1016 said:
    I have the same issues with the wavemaker. I'm not convinced it really does anything except make my hair smell like a fruit cocktail. I've had some good luck with foam products as well. You might also want to look into layering some "ultra light" gels with a light leave in conditioner. Deva Curl has the Ultra Light Defining Gel and I believe Curl Keeper has a really light gel, but I haven't tried it. Briogeo Rosarco Milk is a nice and light leave in.
    It smells amazing lol.    I've had some success layering cheaper products..just figured if Devacurl lives up to the hype, one expensive product could replace using 2 cheaper products ya know?

I should try light hold gels though.  I've only tried hard hold. 
    What happens if you use more Wavemaker? I have found I need a lot of Deva product in soaking hair to get the clumping well defined.
    Hmm I've been progressively using more product and I think my hair looked a lot flatter although it was a lot less frizzy as well.  I'll try one more time before returning.
    Thanks!

• CurledvinesCurledvines Posts: 60Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Pree990 said:
    Hmm I've been progressively using more product and I think my hair looked a lot flatter although it was a lot less frizzy as well.  I'll try one more time before returning.
    Thanks!

Maybe using clips on the top hair layer at the root/part to bring that up some will help the flattening
    2C/3A long hair with some 3C thrown in
    High Porosity, dense, coarse hair
    I make my own protein masks
    Pree990 said:
    Thanks!

Maybe using clips on the top hair layer at the root/part to bring that up some will help the flattening
    Yep that does help.  I usually clip my roots. 
  • AmylizabethAmylizabeth Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've had good luck using Wave Maker with Devacurl Volumizing Foam.  Didn't leave my hair feeling so dry and it stayed clumped together alot better.
    2C Fine, long hair, a ton of it. Blonde balayage. East Coast Canadian. 

Wash: Live Clean Fresh Water Hydrating Shampoo
    Monthly Scalp Cleanse: Baking Soda/Conditioner/Peppermint Essential Oil
    CO: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive Conditioner
    Styling: Devacurl Volumizing Foam, Devacurl Wave Maker, Garnier Curl Treat Jelly
    Refresh Day: Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle, Devacurl Supercream
    Deep Condition: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Treatment

My whole wash routine is upside-down... detangling, rinsing, applying products, scrunching, diffusing... the bigger the waves, the better!  
  • susmasusma Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have 2C low porosity and dense hair and I am trying to wear it wavy this summer. I just tried Wavemaker this week. It made my hair stringy and flat. I'm disappointed because it was expensive. Maybe I will try it one more time with some of the tips on this thread. Has anyone with 2C thick hair made Wavemaker work?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file